• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has my engine been Rebuilt?

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of dropping my oil plan to replace the rear main seal and the rod bearings, and I noticed the rods and caps are numbered. I know ppl usually do this when they rebuild an engine. Does anyone know if they come like this from the factory?

not likely factory but could be. I had two 4.0s apart and there were no numbers. with a 4.0 the general rule of a rebuild seems to be if it aint broke dont fix it so if you are doing a rebuild as preventitive I would just leave it alone, it will start making bad noises when it needs something.

My '69 440 cu. in. that I rebuilt had the connecting rods numbered, it was its 1st Re-Build.

It may be something that changed from year to year at the factory.

See if the head bolts have paint on them, general rule is to mark headbolts the first rebuild or the first time you pull the head so they don't get reused more than once.

My rod end caps from both of the 4.0's that I took apart had them numbered. Neither of them had been apart before. The numbers were stamped on the flat portion of the end cap.

Back