• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auto to manual swap

89HEEP

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys...i think this is my first time posting on this site...and i have an 89 jeep xj, 4.0l aw4, 231 t-case...and im wondering what exactly i will have to go through to switch my jeep over to a 5spd manual....i HATE auto's...dont ask just always have...and have a 5 spd trans and t-case i can get from a 91 jeep that was hooked up to a 4.0....soo...has anyone done this swap...how hard is it?? thanks any help much appreciated.

PS..i know the obvious things...like cutting in a hole for the clutch pedal and what not...im really just worried about wiring harnesses and sensors and such that i'll need to make sure to get...this is why i asked if ne body has done this...had the problems...know the answers...etc...??HELP

89HEEP said:
hey guys...i think this is my first time posting on this site...and i have an 89 jeep xj, 4.0l aw4, 231 t-case...and im wondering what exactly i will have to go through to switch my jeep over to a 5spd manual....i HATE auto's...dont ask just always have...and have a 5 spd trans and t-case i can get from a 91 jeep that was hooked up to a 4.0....soo...has anyone done this swap...how hard is it?? thanks any help much appreciated.

PS..i know the obvious things...like cutting in a hole for the clutch pedal and what not...im really just worried about wiring harnesses and sensors and such that i'll need to make sure to get...this is why i asked if ne body has done this...had the problems...know the answers...etc...??HELP
The main thing is really just making sure to swap the T-Case too because the spline count wouldn't have been the same, which you're fine with. Other than that you just need to cut the hole for the clutch pedal, hang the clutch pedal and linkage, take out the auto trans shifter and feed the manual one through, bleed everything and you're about done. You may have to do a new driveshaft or get one from a manual. You will need to figure out how to bypass the NSS so you get it to start like normal, and get backup lights to work. That's pretty much it, you sound like you've got it pretty well covered.

The long rod on the shifter linkage is 3" shorter than the auto, combined with the AX15 being 1" shorter puts the linkage pivot 2" further aft on the body bracket. Redrill the hole before you put the manual tranny in place. It's a bugger to try and redrill with the tranny in the way (BTDT). Or if you've got the donor and don't might ripping the carpet up, you can unbolt the body-side bracket from the inside.

soo...i shouldn't have to worry about wiring harness junk? just the NSS and the backup lights are the only electrical that i will have to change??

also i was wondering...will i need the flywheel off of a 89 4.0 w/ax-15..will it be different than my 89's aw4 w/4.0?

89HEEP said:
also i was wondering...will i need the flywheel off of a 89 4.0 w/ax-15..will it be different than my 89's aw4 w/4.0?
You're going to need a flywheel and a pilot bushing.

Yes. For the electrical, you'll just need to grab the wires from the NSS to hookup the reverse switch on the AX15. You can leave the TCU, it's wiring, and the dual output TPS in place although I'd probably at least pull the fuse for it. It's definitely much easier to a manual, as the other way you need to transplant in all the auto electronics.

You will need the flywheel, clutch, etc from the manual. The auto has a thin flex plate that's totally different.

ok..so i have heard a bunch of different things and am trying to just get everything in order.....here goes...first...do i need a different flywheel (flex-plate) for my jeep in order to put a manual ax-15 in it in place of the aw4..its an 89...also...do i need the t-case that was orig on the ax-15 or can i use my 231 from my aw4...OR...can i use my extra 242 full time that was from an aw4 on the ax-15...also...do i need a dif cross-member for the manual tranny..if so...do i need to drill dif holes in the uni-body to accomodate this cross-member? also, what will i have to do to the NSS to make my jeep start after pulling the aw4 and installing the ax-15....AND what will i have to do w/the TCU? or the TCM? will i need to get the computer for the manual trans out of the donor vehicle? ..and...do i need a different driveshaft for this swap? any help appreciated..jsut trying to figure it all out before i go and try doing it

my apologies sigmund and lawsoncl...didnt see your answers to my questions right away...so i guess im just wondering about the t-case and cross member and driveshaft questions now..and also...is the "flex-plate" the same thing as the flywheel or not? dont mean to be dumb but i keep gettin confused. thanks!

A flex plate is thin steel that the torque converter bolts to to transfer the energy with an auto trans. The flywheel is thick steel which the pressure plate bolts to, and uses the clutch to transfer the energy. You need a flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, and pilot bearing/bushing.

89HEEP said:
ok..so i have heard a bunch of different things and am trying to just get everything in order.....here goes...first...do i need a different flywheel (flex-plate) for my jeep in order to put a manual ax-15 in it in place of the aw4..its an 89...also...do i need the t-case that was orig on the ax-15 or can i use my 231 from my aw4...OR...can i use my extra 242 full time that was from an aw4 on the ax-15...also...do i need a dif cross-member for the manual tranny..if so...do i need to drill dif holes in the uni-body to accomodate this cross-member? also, what will i have to do to the NSS to make my jeep start after pulling the aw4 and installing the ax-15....AND what will i have to do w/the TCU? or the TCM? will i need to get the computer for the manual trans out of the donor vehicle? ..and...do i need a different driveshaft for this swap? any help appreciated..jsut trying to figure it all out before i go and try doing it
You just need to connect the B and C on this connector on the "ECU side". I used a paperclip for a while but i ended up cutting the connector of my old one and splicing the two wires, i believe they were black and black with a stripe (on a 98 yours may be different) and electrical taped them. Pretty simple fix. Hope that helps.
nssconnectorgv0.jpg

anybody know about the t-case?? which one do i have to use etc?? and the driveshaft...any help appreciated...or maybe someone can direct me to a link of some sort..thanks!!!!!

Use the T-case from the ax-15. The spline count is differant.

Crank sensor is diff. I think you can use the same cross member and the drive shaft you will need to measure it center to center of your yoke once you have done the swap

BBeach said:
Right by the dipstick on the passenger side of the engine. I can post up a pic of my setup later.

Yup. Follow the wiring from the NSS up. There are two connectors that have the same shape, but ones black and the other grey. I don't remember which is which, but the other one is for the tranny solenoids and sensor.

On the cross-member, I didn't have to change it when I converted my 89 from manula to auto. You do need the right tranny mount though. And yes, keep the 89 crank sensor and track down a 89 flexplate (the number of "teeth " changed). Your drive shaft lengths may be ok. Just have to check and make sure you have engough extension left in the front and not too compressed in the back.

Back