• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 to AW4 swap

Strip out the clutch pedal, or just drop it to the floor - you won't be using it anymore.

OBD-II (1996-up) means you'll need a PCM from an AW4-equipped XJ, since they stopped using a secondary controller for OBD-II. So, got a donor vehicle? Or, order a reman.

I don't have my FSMs to hand, but I don't think there are any engine control wiring changes. However, you'll need wiring for the AW4 (it's electronically-shifted using solenoids.) The transmission throttle opening signal is internal to the PCM, so you should be fine there (once you change the PCM.)

You'll need an AW4 shifter assembly - I don't know what all will work, but I think it's cable operated - meaning you can use any of the "second generation XJ" shifters (1987-1996.) I think. The centre console should be the same - but you'll need the shifter bezel as well, and I don't know if it will fully cover the hole for the manual stirring stick.

You will need to carry the transfer case over, since the earlier ones are 21-spline (mid-1989 was the break.) Later units are 23-spline.

Make sure you get a flexplate (for your engine year, not the transmission. RENIX and OBD are different, but I don't know offhand about OBD-I and OBD-II. Just get one for a 1996) and a torque converter (should be the same 1987-2001. I've got one, but I'd have to drain it or plug it, and it's heavy to ship!) Flexplate-to-crankshaft screws are shorter, so you'll want to replace those as well (1/2"-20 x just over 1/2". The ones I used last time were ARP - a kit for Pontiac - the screws were 1/2"-20 x .590", methinks. Should be the same for you. Flywheel screws are about 3/4" long, and will try to "mill out" the block casting when they stick through the flange. Torque converter screws are, I think, M10-1.5 x 15m/m, or maybe 20m/m long.)

That's the quick thoughts, anyhow...

Why for do you want to do this, anyhow? Seems like a lot of work...

The TCU was always seperate, although it moved to the drivers side at some point. I still haven't confirmed when the AW4 had the sensor changes. I believe it was 98, though. In the OBDI and OBDII setups, the PCM provides the TPS signal to the trans computer. I don't know if that output is there on a manual version of the PCM - probably not. I agree that it's a lot of work and you'll need some decent wiring skills to transplant and splice in the TCU wiring harness.

I'm fairly certain the rear driveshaft is different. The TPS and harness will have to be added for the AW-4.

Here is a AW4 schematic for a 96.

7ysc9y9.png

And one for an 88.

6uqtloi.gif

If the schematics come out fuzzy when enlarged PM me.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the pictures. This confirms that the TCU connector changed to the style in 96, but the additional front sensor was not added yet (show in the 98 FSM). I still think the rear sensor changed to 4-pulse/rev in 98 as well. One of these days I'll finish tracking down a few details and post an interchange guide.

Oh and yeah the AW4 is 1" longer, so you may end up having to swap drive shafts. The xfer case linkage is longer too.

just manualy control it, so much simpler.

FitchVA posted up some DIY schematics if you're handy building electronic things.
Otherwise, call up brettm, drop the $300 on his kit and bolt it in.
You'll still need the shifter assy though.

Back