• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing Rusty's "helper" AAL..

SLOPAR

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my pair of helper leafs today but when I opened the box they did not have any instructions at all. They are the Rusty's "Helper" AAL kit designed to give you a 1" over stock re-arch. My question is do I remove my lower leaf all together or does this one sit on top of that? They seem very thick (like a lower leaf) not one that would get sandwitched in. When I did the AAL on my other truck it was thinner and much more "arched" and was designed to fit between the lower and the leaf pack. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Why did you go with a short AAL? Not ot be an a$$ but it's not a great idear. When you do a shorty, you're asking that short leaf to correct/support an entire leaf pack that is, essentially, clapped out. I THINK a shorty is inserted just above the bottom leaf but I'm not sure. Please don't quote me on installation. I searched and found a thread that stated it went in that position. At least you wont have to bother with the front pack bolt.

jeepdude10000 said:
dont listen to Riverfever, i put an AAL and it works great.
River didn't say that all add-a-leafs are bad. He said that you shouldn't use a short add-a-leaf, and he's right. I have short Rubicon Express add-a-leafs (2" of lift) on my XJ, and it rides like there's no rear suspension at all. It's crap. Spend the extra $30 or so and have RE send you the long add-a-leafs instead if you go with their 2" kit. I'm going to try to swap out my add-a-leafs for some (long) single leaves from an MJ or S10 instead.

As for where in the pack to install it, just install it so that it's shorter than the leaf above it and longer than the leaf below it.

I'm thrilled it worked out for ya jeepdude. Mambeu's correct and read my response exactly as it reads. They aren't a great idea. They ride like a turd and it will wear out quicker than a long AAL which will wear out quicker than a full pack. Like I already said, not trying to be an a$$...just telling it like it is. Lemme me know how that shorty is next summer eh (unless, of course, your OE pack was in great shape and then it's not AS bad.) My 96 OE pack was shat. My 01 pack is about shat.

Last edited:
riverfever said:
Why did you go with a short AAL? Not ot be an a$$ but it's not a great idear.

Who cares...:confused1

Here's the instructions on installing any short AAL.

He will need:
* floor jack
* set of Jackstands
* 1/2" Drive 3/4" deep socket or air tools. Also a Vice-Grips and whatever size wrench fits the nut on the new centering bolt.
* large "C" clamp. Not some pussy C-Clamp, but one big honking serious C-Clamp.
* Some common sense.

Roughed out procedure:
* Jack up vehicle untill the tires clear the floor by a good 2" and put jackstands under the flat area infront of the forward rear spring perch.
* Remove tires
* Lower vehicle untill the frame rests on the jack stands, but do not let the axle drop just yet.
* Remove the nut holding the shocks to the bottom mount at the axle, and remove the shock from only the lower mount.
* Soak U-bolts with Blaster and let sit a few minutes, then loosen and remove the u-bolts from one side. The axle on that side will drop a bit when you remove the U-Bolts and lower the jack.
* Put the C-Clamp near the middle of the springs arch and remove/cut the centering bolt on the spring pack. Note lengths and orientation of spring leaves, and loosen the C-Clamp.
* Install the AAL one leaf up from the bottom (or just below the next longer leaf) using new centering bolt as a guide, and re-apply the C-Clamp and clamp down spring pack untill it is completely compressed in the middle. The centering bolt should be able to move vertically in the back at this point.
* Tighten the centering bolt as tight as you can get it. Head side should be down.
* Release C-Clamp and put your jack under that side of the axle. Lift axle into place using the jack (I'm lazy) so that the centering bolt's head goes in the centering hole in the perch.
* Install the U-Bolts tightening them equally untill they are cinched up. Then tighten in a X pattern, the bolts to 20, then 50, then 70 ftlbs.

* Do other side.
* Jack the axle up a bit and install the shocks.
* Jack vehicle back up, install the tires and remove the jackstands.

Last edited:
ok I didnt see "short", I actually substituded three leafs to make a re-arc, and it gave me 2 3/4" lift on the rear.

Zuki-Ron said:

Me....or I wouldn't have asked. Duh.:viking:

:worship:
Zuki-Ron said:

Here's the instructions on installing any short AAL.

He will need:
* floor jack
* set of Jackstands
* 1/2" Drive 3/4" deep socket or air tools. Also a Vice-Grips and whatever size wrench fits the nut on the new centering bolt.
* large "C" clamp. Not some pussy C-Clamp, but one big honking serious C-Clamp.
* Some common sense.

Roughed out procedure:
* Jack up vehicle untill the tires clear the floor by a good 2" and put jackstands under the flat area infront of the forward rear spring perch.
* Remove tires
* Lower vehicle untill the frame rests on the jack stands, but do not let the axle drop just yet.
* Remove the nut holding the shocks to the bottom mount at the axle, and remove the shock from only the lower mount.
* Soak U-bolts with Blaster and let sit a few minutes, then loosen and remove the u-bolts from one side. The axle on that side will drop a bit when you remove the U-Bolts and lower the jack.
* Put the C-Clamp near the middle of the springs arch and remove/cut the centering bolt on the spring pack. Note lengths and orientation of spring leaves, and loosen the C-Clamp.
* Install the AAL one leaf up from the bottom (or just below the next longer leaf) using new centering bolt as a guide, and re-apply the C-Clamp and clamp down spring pack untill it is completely compressed in the middle. The centering bolt should be able to move vertically in the back at this point.
* Tighten the centering bolt as tight as you can get it. Head side should be down.
* Release C-Clamp and put your jack under that side of the axle. Lift axle into place using the jack (I'm lazy) so that the centering bolt's head goes in the centering hole in the perch.
* Install the U-Bolts tightening them equally untill they are cinched up. Then tighten in a X pattern, the bolts to 20, then 50, then 70 ftlbs.

* Do other side.
* Jack the axle up a bit and install the shocks.
* Jack vehicle back up, install the tires and remove the jackstands.
:worship: Thank you so much for taking the time to write that up for me. I am heading out to the garage right now to put them on. To everyone else, I went with the short style for a couple of reasons. First it is my DD and will see very limited off-road use (just fire roads and hunting) so flex is not a huge concern. Second, I am moving in two weeks and a needed a quick fix for the clapped out springs that also enabled me to pull a small trailer loaded with crap. This was by far the cheapest and easiest way to go. Thanks for all of you input, it is greatly appreciated!

Oh God......isn't it amazing how many people stand in line when you buy a house. They all seem to have their hand out too. Congrats though. We just got back into a house after a huge move and renting for a year. I wouldn't have it any other way but it is surreal.

Okay, so I did it this past weekend. I'm not very impressed, after a couple of days of settling I am at 16 7/8" on the driver side and 17" even on the passeger. I was hoping for a little more "lift" than that. Also, I removed the bottom leafs and added the Rusty's ones, should I have done that? I am considering re-installing the bottom factory leafs in hoping to add a little lift. What is you guys take?

Back