• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing Hellwig helper springs

mikejwil

NAXJA Forum User
Just got them from SummitRacing.com...and looking at how to put them on. The strap around the stock leaf pack (about half way back from the axle) sticks up quite a bit (about 1/4 inch) right where the helper spring is supposed to go (on top of the leaf pack). Doesn't seem like it would be good if the helper is pressing against it... Anybody out there installed these? Is this a problem, or something I shouldn't worry about?

Thanks in advance.

I installed them and was very disappointed in the fitment and function. I think I used them for one trip. The front bolts rubbed against the uni-frame and because of the 500 lb load and the way the Helwigs were designed, they overstressed my stock springs. I ended up putting them on my utility trailer where they worked much better.

I ended up spending a bit more money and got air springs. I absolutely love my air springs. There is a thread here that discusses them. Look for air springs or air shocks.

Man...now I'm concerned about clearance issues too. I thought it looked a little tight in there. Did your Hellwig's make contact with the leaf-pack strap?

You can adjust them enough so they don't hit the straps. Don't get me wrong. They do work. But, the u-bolts (even after grinding) rubbed and after being fully loaded for 1000 miles did stress the stock springs.

I can't seriously discourage you from using them because your application may prove more benifical, but knowing what I know. I'd take them back for a refund.

Just my opinion.

Back