• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differences in AW4

dave92cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Recently picked up a 97 xj that the previous owner swapped in a different trans. It's an aw4 with a 242 and he said it came from a renix era xj (didn't think the trans would interchange across that gap), but the tcase shifter inside only has the spots for the typical 231. Was wondering if there's any easy way to visually identify either through markings or numbers stamped in it to verify. I do know it's a 242 because of the tag on it but was wondering about swapping back in a 231 because of the differences in the trans splines.

Jeep transfer cases have a date code on the ID tag, but you should count the input splines to be sure.

Read this web page -> http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Transmission_and_Transfer_Case/Transfer_Case_ID_Project.htm

This one built in 1996, probably February 20th.
standard.jpg

Last edited:
Is the AW4 from a RENIX or the 242? And you can swap input gears depending on the year of the case - you can put any 91 through 94.0 23 spline input gear into a RENIX 21 spline case and have it work fine.

Unfortunately it will be difficult to tell if someone else has swapped the input gear without splitting the trans from the tcase.

Not sure I believe he said the trans and tcase were both from the same vehicle being a renix. He said that the front output shaft yoke was different from the original case preventing him from reusing the original front driveshaft. Not sure how that could be as they're all 1310 u-joints and it is a u-joint yoke and not a flange. I know alot of people prefer the 242 because of the 4wd option of it but I prefer a good ole 231.

What is the transmission serial number, and if you can get to it, the 8 digit transmission part number? I believe the sticker is on the top of the housing unfortunately.

EDIT: can you get the transfer case part number, like the number shown in Tim's post? His example is 5209 8480, which matches to an NP231 used in 94-95 XJs. With that I can at least tell you exactly what year range it came from, which may help.

Last edited:
Awesome when I get home the end of the month I'll crawl under it and get a pic. Hoping to be able to do a direct swap with a 231 that way I can build it up on the bench before throwing it in.

Crawled under the xj yesterday while it was dry and not pouring down on us and got the t/c info.

242 AMC
89530 04269
8 22 88
272 ratio

The tranny and tcase don't look like they've been split apart as the grime looks continuous between the two so I'm guessing it looks like it came from an 88.

It is. Just like there is a 231J (jeep), 231D (dodge), 231C (chevy) I guess they called that one the 242 AMC. I wouldn't worry about it - especially given the fact that the part number on the next row down is a valid AMC/Jeep part number (5300 4269) that matches the appropriate transfer case (TRANSFER CASE ASSEMBLY, Model NPG 242, W/Automatic transmission, 1987-89: 6 Cylinder Engine, Up To 11/2/88, fits MJ/XJ)

Last edited:
Back