NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 16th, 2010, 15:46
NAXJA Forum User

87 renix 2.5 - high fuel pressure, is that bad?

Hey everybody, about a month ago I replaced my fuel pump and the jeep didn't run right. I went through everything and even adjusted the fuel presure regulator up as much as possible and still only had 8 lbs.

Took it to a shop and of course the hose wasn't tight enough on the fuel pump so that was fixed and it read 18 lbs.

The factory setting is 14.5 lbs. Am I running rich or am I worried for no reason?
Old November 16th, 2010, 16:57
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos
Re: 87 renix 2.5 - high fuel pressure, is that bad?

I'd adjust it back down to 14-15 if you can, else, wouldn't worry about it. Might just be me though.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old November 16th, 2010, 17:04
NAXJA Forum User

Yea I've gotplans to turn in back down tomorrow, more curious really if it affects the amount of fuel sprayed because I feel like my mpg has decreased a litte bit.
Old November 16th, 2010, 17:07
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Theoretically it doesn't since the engine computer watches the O2 sensor to figure out if it needs more or less fuel, but the faster the injector flows fuel, the less granularity the engine computer has to control how much is used (since it pretty much just says how long the injector should be open for, and can only adjust the open period by certain "ticks", not sure how long each "tick" is though.)

Believe it will decrease fuel economy during warm-up (i.e. until the engine goes into closed loop mode when the temp gets to 170-180 or so) but I'm not sure, 4 cylinder TBI RENIX rigs are pretty foreign to me. And in a well maintained engine it will only take a few minutes for coolant temps to reach that range anyways.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.