• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some XJ parts -> buggy build

mr_W

NAXJA Forum User
hi guys, I've got some leftovers from my previous jeep. They are however low-end parts. I thought about making tube buggy out of them.. just need some matching engine.

I've got AX-5, NP231, D30 and D35 with 3.55 gears. Now I know d30/35 combo won't like too big tires, and 3.55 would ask for good powerplant..

I need some suggestions or ideas on what to do :)

Last edited:
mr_W said:
I need some suggestions or ideas on what to do :)

Umm... Don't?

The AX-5 doesn't have the most reliable reputation and the D35 isn't all that great either. With a tube chassis, you would have a lighter rig which would help slightly.

In all honesty, 1 ton rear axles and front D44 axles with cast radius arm mounts are a dime a dozen. There are also a lot of cheap motor and tranny combos that would be just fine if you aren't looking to go all out. Personally, I think you'll find it's a lot more work and money to build a buggy from scratch than you might realize and it will only dissapoint you if you use junk you just happen to have lying around.

OK, I just noticed your location. I don't know what is easily and cheaply available in Serbia, but I still think if your going to go through all the time and expense to build a buggy, you should use a stronger drivetrain.

Jesus, what a gay-ass thread.

I wouldn't listen to the naysayers myself. I've often thought about building a small, ultrabasic tube buggy out of leftover XJ parts. Something less Jeep/Rockbuggy and more basic ATV. Just a backwoods runaround, small tires, small engine. Heck, just to annoy the mob I'd use Poop Pipe too!

Just because it doesn't come close to matching the top dollar rock buggies doesn't mean it wouldn't be a fun worthwhile project to hone your building skills and create a fun little toy to drive out in the woods.

I agree, I mean, hell, you could build some simple buggy and keep it low and just tear around in it if you really wanted to, it would just give something to do with the spare parts and have some fun with. Use your imagination and have a blast with it, try some crazy ideas. I am waiting to get the chance to just build something, but being in school and at my parents house, its kinda hard since they dont want "junk" lying around the yard

Back