• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I can't find my crank position sensor connector.

SBox87

NAXJA Forum User
Well, guys I'm stumped. I pulled the motor in my shitbox 2 years ago for a rebuild. Life got in the way and laziness I'm sure, well I finally have my motor rebuilt and waiting to be stabbed back in. Idon't really remember all of the details where everything went. I'm working off of wire lay memory. So, my conundrum is that I can't find my connector for the crank position sensor. ANYWHERE. All my research shows that it's up on the intake by the firewall. So, I made a trip to the junk yard and got an engine harness from the same year as mine, 87, but the harness I bought has 27 wires and my original harness has 25. Where else could the connector be wired?! I don't have any wires that are unaccounted for. Wth?

I have the engine out right now and I can't find the connector anywhere. It's not even wired in on the engine harness, where the pins should be on the main connector block, they're not there on the firewall side or the engine harness side. I picked a harness up from the junk yard that has the CPS connector and that's when I realized that the new harness has 2 more pins in the main connector block than the my connector block on the firewall has. I'm confused by this, big time.

db27b9f0-27f8-4be3-afd4-bd5aeb6903c6

On my '88, the CPS wires come out in the same spot as the MAP sensor. Note the colors of the wires. Purple with tracer and White with tracer.

B652M5jl.jpg

Well, guys I'm stumped. I pulled the motor in my shitbox 2 years ago for a rebuild. Life got in the way and laziness I'm sure, well I finally have my motor rebuilt and waiting to be stabbed back in. Idon't really remember all of the details where everything went. I'm working off of wire lay memory. So, my conundrum is that I can't find my connector for the crank position sensor. ANYWHERE. All my research shows that it's up on the intake by the firewall. So, I made a trip to the junk yard and got an engine harness from the same year as mine, 87, but the harness I bought has 27 wires and my original harness has 25. Where else could the connector be wired?! I don't have any wires that are unaccounted for. Wth?

Wasn't there a repair kit that wired the crank sensor direct to the the engine computer, bypassing the harness? As I recall, if that was installed, it was normal to clip the old connector off the harness.

I recall the TSB although mine still maintains the connectors.

I suppose if the OP (or prior owner) spliced the cps harnesses together bypassing the C101, that would account for the wire count difference. But that would mean the OP cut the harness when he pulled the motor.

Of course, 2 years is a long time to recall every detail.

Back