• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Think its worth it??

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 MJ its clean, with fresh paint (within last few years, not sure when) theres a small place on the fender flare where the paint is starting to bubble up. No biggie.

(not sure if cardomin allows remote linking)

2172326_1_full.jpg

I found a 97 cherokee for $300, its wrecked (t-boned) and the whole frontend is good. I was thinking of doing a frontend swap. I love the look of the 97+ frontends on MJs.

Problem is, id have to paint it, thats another chunk of money, id spraybomb it if I could get something to match.

Would you think its worth the money, labor and effort?

There arent any quotes, just the cost of the truck, Im going to be doing all the work. The painting id probably do too, although i dont know my abilitys.

I think it's worth it, if you want the new look. I like it on the MJ, and some day I'd like to do one of mine up that way.

The parts would cost you a lot more than $300 to buy, and if you buy the entire vehicle you should be able to sell enough parts to about pay yourself back, so the new nose would be free and you might make enough extra to buy the paint.

And still have some parts left over.

summitlt said:
There arent any quotes, just the cost of the truck, Im going to be doing all the work. The painting id probably do too, although i dont know my abilitys.

I meant for painting and stuff, not to take it to a shop and *BAM*

I said that because I have no idea the cost

If you prep it yourself, sand, fill, wetsand, etc, have all the doodads and trim off the paint should be a breeze. With the color you could even have it painted before you put it on. Did that with my sons TJ, teal green, had the hood, grill, fender, windshield frame painted before we put it all back together. Just had it shot with the factory color. Total cost for me was -$0- cept for paint as the body shop is one of my customers but his quote to paint another one for my sons friend was $150 labor + $50 for paint and that included hood, grill, two fenders. The advantage of doing it that way is the backsides get painted too.... You would be suprised what a local body shop will do when it comes to cash on the barrelhead.

I like the front end of the 90 MJ just the way it is.
I'd spend my time and money on other components.

...BOB

You could put the modern interior into your MJ as well. I was planning on doing a similar modification to my '87 longbed if I could find a wrecked 2-door '97+ XJ as a donor... I'm planning on shortening the front of the bed, stretching the cab rearward into that space, and using the 2-door XJ doors to make an extended cab MJ on the original 119" wheelbase.

Back