• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC condenser leak? Or Radiator?

erykv1

NAXJA Forum User
Hello fellow NAXJA'ers!

I would like to get a second opinion as to what my problem may be. This is a 2001 Jeep Cherokee w/ factory radiator / ac / trans cooler.

Background info:

I was driving home this weekend after a 2 hour trip, noticed that the jeep was running about 3/4 of a tick over from 210 when I came to a stop. Didn't think too much about it until I got home and heard a sizzling noise emanating from the front passenger grille area.

Took a closer look and my front bumper / passenger grille was filled with this reddish / brownish fluid. I couldn't really diagnose exactly where it was coming from, but the fluid was pretty runny and didn't quite smell like trans fluid.

I was led to thinking that it was just a really dirty cooling system or a cooling system that the previous owner had run more water than cooling in causing it to get nasty. I haven't touched the cooling system during the year I've owned the XJ as it had never gave me any real problems.

Since I wasn't sure when the last coolant system maintenance / overhaul was... over the course of this week I went ahead and ordered the following:

• New spectra radiator
  • New Stant 16psi radiator cap
  • Gates 42004 Water Pump
  • Stant Superstat 195* Thermostat & Felpro Gasket
  • Dayco Upper and Lower Radiator Hose
  • Proper disconnect tools for the trans line that goes into the radiator
I started it for a brief moment to move my XJ today, and I took a photo. It seems like this fluid is coming from the AC condenser? Or is it just bleeding through from the back? I'm quite confused as to what is exactly going on now.

From everything I was experiencing I thought it was the radiator, but when the AC condenser leaks, it shouldn't be squirting reddish/brownish fluid right? Or am I going insane? The coolant in the overflow bottle looks like doodoo.

Here is a photo of what it looks like:

lsBUcJ4h.jpg

Regardless, I will be changing out the radiator and the associated components this weekend. I just wanted a second opinion.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Before you install that Spectra radiator you might want to research them a little. From what I have seem in their line of heater cores they leave a lot left desired. If memory serves they don't get the best review. These vehicles are prone to overheating issues as it is so I wouldn't short cut anything in this area. That said, the pics suggest that the radiator burst. When your finished with the parts replacement be sure to burp the cooling system properly to avoid further problems.

Before you install that Spectra radiator you might want to research them a little. From what I have seem in their line of heater cores they leave a lot left desired. If memory serves they don't get the best review. These vehicles are prone to overheating issues as it is so I wouldn't short cut anything in this area. That said, the pics suggest that the radiator burst. When your finished with the parts replacement be sure to burp the cooling system properly to avoid further problems.

Thank you for your input larry! So you just think it burst behind, and is leaking through the condenser?

I did some searching, and spectra seemed to be the lesser of all evils, direct drop in no modifiacations. The carquest/toughones had the worst reviews out of all of them from what I saw. I would have loved to go CSF aluminum, but this is just a daily and doesn't see extreme temps.

It looks like it. the residue on the grill looks like rusty radiator to me. Any other fluid up front like that wouldn't dry leaving a dull non-shiny residue.
Also keep in mind that heavy traffic will make for higher temps. I can see my temp rise just idling in a drive thru. I'd be interested to know how long that radiator gives you good service. The loss of manufacturing in the US has led to some pretty crappy aftermarket parts for these older vehicles so finding good sources to keep these vehicles on the road is important.

Looks like the radiator is just spraying through the condenser. As far as Spectra is concerned, I've run a stock Spectra replacement with my 87 Ranger for 10 years now, and had one in the Jeep for the first year I owned it until I broke off the filler cap (don't climb on an icy Jeep to look under the hood....sigh) with no issues. I have a Murray from O'reilly's installed currently; works just fine. Full aluminum just doesn't have the longevity to justify the cost in my opinion, either.

Back