• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix 4.0L cranks and dies

specauto

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings:

I have an 89 4,0L Renix Waggy I'm having some problems with.

It was running fine, has been hard to start a few times in the past, also I've had some CPS issues as well. A lot of times if it fails to crank (which wasn't often) I would unplug the CPS, turn the engine over, plug it back in and go from there.

Background of current problem: I put on a set of shocks and replaced the steering. When I started it, it cranks fine but ran about 10 seconds and died. I checked the fuel pressure, reading and holding 32lbs on the rail. I replaced the fuel filter, had some junk in it. Started and ran about 30-45 seconds, then died. Disconnected the vacuum at the fuel pressure regulator, no difference in fuel pressure. Replaced the regulator. Same situation. Started the engine, observed the fuel pressure is about 40 and slowly drops to about 32 before it shuts off. I was thinking possibly the fuel pump not putting out enough volume. Replaced the pump with a new Bosch unit, same symptoms.

I took the IAC out and cleaned it, didn't look gunked, replaced it, same. Checked all the vacuum lines, especially the one to the MAP, all seem ok. I replaced the MAP as well just to eliminate it. Same. I believe my grounds are good, just replaced the cables and cleaned the mounting points. This is a Southern vehicle, no rust or corrosion anywhere at all. I have a couple other Renix XJs and MJs, so buying those parts was not a total waste, I will tag the ones I took off as good for future tests.

The instances I've had crank sensors go bad,it feels more like an ignition problem, like the switch is being shut off. In this case, the fuel pressure starts at 40lbs, slowly goes down to 32 and the engine speed stumbles and then it shuts down. Acts like its starving for fuel. Runs perfectly fine until then. I should think 32 lbs is adequate to keep it running, If I try to increase RPMS, the fuel pressure still drops and it dies as well.

Whenever something acts weird after I've disturbed something else, I immediately think it has something to do with the disturbance. But I've looked all over where I took the washer bottle out to replaced the shock and see nothing I unplugged or disturbed.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Back