• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to splice metal Tranny oil lines?

urbanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have the 3/8" metal tranny oil lines to the radiator and my control arm pinched them. Yea, i got bumpstops now:)

How do I splice these metal lines? Suggestions please

My plan is to cut a section (1 or 2') out, and use rubber hose&clamp that will fit over the 3/8 OD line. Is this seem OK to ya'll?

i dont think the pressure gets to great on a tranny Say 5-10psi????I don't know.

Also, What is the opperating range of the fluid tempreture?

The guage I got covers 100-280 F*. Is was only 14$

Most importantly tough, can I really put a hose on a metal tube with no lip.

Can I do somthing to the metal line to make the ruber hose hold on better?

Urban,

Go to your local hardware store and buy a "union". it is a fitting that you out nuts and ferrels on both halves then tighten it up.

That way you will still have the rigid line intact and you will have a good pressure seal. The other alternative is go to the dealer and buy a new assembly.

Martin

Replace the hose with new hoseline rated for the usage, with a SAE J189 rating written on the hose.

Cut the crimp jackets off the end of the factory hoses, with a hacksaw or dremel, and remove the old hose. You will find ribbed tube ends under the crimp.

Lube the new hose with oil and push them over the ribbed tube end. Use two hose clamps at each hose to tube connection. Even if you have no tube ribs (they were cut off or... ), and connect smooth tube to the hose, the double hose clamps will hold.

Your local auto parts store should have rubber hose made special for tranny and power steering applications. The hose should work just dandy hose clamped to the metal line. If you are looking for a more "permenant" fix I would get a Flaring kit and a small chunk of metal line the same size as your damamged one and flare and splice. If you use a double flare it will last forever. You will have to buy some fittings, (Female and male) to thread it together. The compression fittings mentioned above in this thread would also work, but if I was gonna take the time to mess with fittings I would rather it be double flared as it will be stronger. My $.02 :D

When I worked at a tranny shop, we used a piece of tubing with the same inside diameter as the existing line's outside diameter. After cutting and cleaning properly, sweat the new tubing on with silver solder.

That is difficult and moderately expensive, so the best option for a home mechanic is to get the compression fittings and do the job right. Or find a set of lines at the boneyard or dealer.

I don't know the exact pressure on the lines, but it is substantial - much more than 10 psi. I would not risk a tranny job ($1-$2 K) on a cheap piece of rubber hose. When the hose fails, it will pump all of the fluid on the ground in a few minutes and there you will be.

Choose wisely. :)

Back