• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Omix-Ada junk bushings

RockTracXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Two months ago I swapped out the bushing on the right for the bushing on the left. The bushing on the right was in my jeep for six years. Yes, you read that right, the bushing on the left was in my jeep for two months and the bushing on the right was in it for six years. The bushing on the left is omix-ada and the bushing on the right is Capemi, which is an Argentine company. Omix-Ada should be embarrassed.

Now, I know what you're going to say, "Why did that guy swap out that perfectly good bushing for that other bushing?" I had the leaf springs out so I figured I'd just replace the bushings because I knew they were six years old. I guess I should've known better.

These Capemi wonder bushings can be bought from Stengel Bros:
RB163 - front
RB138 - rear

Git 'er Done
zq1j.jpg

I have found that most parts from Omix-Ada and Crown Automotive fit poorly, and seldom last very long.

FTW:

To prevent pre-mature bushing failure never tighten the spring mounting bolts until the full weight of the vehicle is resting on the springs.

Pretty much what Joe said. If you torque them up with the chassis up in the air, you will create a lot of tension on them that will eventually tear them apart.

Seems like every manufacture from RE to Rusty's has had bushing issues at one time or another and I have to wonder how much of that was due to torquing everything down while the suspension was in droop.

About the MFG/Vendor bashing. I think it doesn't reflect well on us.
Sometimes you simply get what you pay for. Sort of like bashing Harbor Freight for one use tools is like barking at the moon. If you have a quality issue with a manufacture, by all means contact them! I've had some seemingly low end companies bend over backwards if you get someone on the phone and just explain the problem to them.

Sort of like bashing Harbor Freight for one use tools is like barking at the moon.
Well, that is what HF is known for and accepted. Crown/Omix purports to offer a good product at a premium price (at least the little I have seen of their prices, but i could be wrong).

Pretty much what Joe said. If you torque them up with the chassis up in the air, you will create a lot of tension on them that will eventually tear them apart.

Seems like every manufacture from RE to Rusty's has had bushing issues at one time or another and I have to wonder how much of that was due to torquing everything down while the suspension was in droop.

About the MFG/Vendor bashing. I think it doesn't reflect well on us.
Sometimes you simply get what you pay for. Sort of like bashing Harbor Freight for one use tools is like barking at the moon. If you have a quality issue with a manufacture, by all means contact them! I've had some seemingly low end companies bend over backwards if you get someone on the phone and just explain the problem to them.

Did I bash? I wouldn't say that I did, but perhaps you were referring to the other posters. I presented two products, one well made, and one poorly made. And as Talyn stated, Omix claims to have superior products, which is actually why I purchased those in the first place.

My goal with a post like this is to keep people from making the same mistakes I have, or at least to contribute to the wealth of NAXJA knowledge/info so others can be more informed when making their decisions.

And you bet I'll be contacting Omix for a refund - as that's all they can offer me as I would surely not put another set of these bushings in my Jeep.

No bashing involved. I have bought OmixAda and Crown parts for the XJ and the CJ. The parts I received fit poorly and didn't last nearly as long as the stock parts lasted.

Back