• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone use vanco hydro assist master?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
upgraded my brakes to vanco "big brake" 15", and a 95 MC, but braking is still lacking with 35"s... I'm thinking of getting their hydro assist, anyone use this?

http://www.vancopbs.com/product_p/urs.htm

i just put hydro boost on my 98 xj ,the braking power is well worth the cost and work. it stops my 36 " swampers w/ no problem. i had the same setup on a built cj 7 10 yrs ago w/ 37" tires 4.1 tc & 4.56 gears low range could drive thru stock brakes but not w/ the hydro boost brakes. they are extremely strong brakes. vanco does have nice complete setup, but high dollar . i found a different seller on ebay saved a couple hundred dollars, if u want his contact info let me know .

yeah, send me the contact info, I'm still trying to figure out where the stopping power comes from.. debating if just getting a better master (I'm using a '96 stock master) would accomplish the same thing.

Have you tried a larger booster yet? If you still have the stock 88 booster, I would suggest looking into a WJ dual diaphragm booster first since it is much cheaper than hydro.

the stopping power comes from the power steering assisted hydro boost pump, provides twice the clamping power to the rotors over standard vacuum assist brakes. btw will find the info of the vendor i bought from & send it.

I have vanco hydroboost on my xj. Stops my 1ton disks with 41s real easy.

You could call vanco, great service.

Have you tried a larger booster yet? If you still have the stock 88 booster, I would suggest looking into a WJ dual diaphragm booster first since it is much cheaper than hydro.

I have boster from a '96 installed , but definitely looking into better boosters as opposed to hydro, I'm not an expert, but I don't see why the hydro assist would work, isn't all the stopping power from the MC?

the stopping power comes from the power steering assisted hydro boost pump, provides twice the clamping power to the rotors over standard vacuum assist brakes. btw will find the info of the vendor i bought from & send it.

I hear that, but isn't the power coming from the master? im not seeing how the hydro is helping --- if the master cylinder is the same, how exactly does the hydro boost provide that extra clamping power?

If they use a different MC with different portioning valves, then, fine. but that just begs the question, couldn't I get the same stopping power with a different MC? (the MC they include in their kit looks like any other chevy MC form the 70s, are they bored differently?)

Anyway, I'll look into it.

You can have all the pressure you want but if the MC can't push the amount of fluid needed to operate the pistons in the calipers then it means nothing.

It could very well be a great upgrade and solve the problem, but for the cost I'd examine all the options out there first.

Personally, I have a WJ booster with a 00 RAM van MC and it will lock up my D60/14B w/ dual piston calipers all the way around with no problem. Total cost was around $80 with lines and fittings.

You can have all the pressure you want but if the MC can't push the amount of fluid needed to operate the pistons in the calipers then it means nothing.

It could very well be a great upgrade and solve the problem, but for the cost I'd examine all the options out there first.

Personally, I have a WJ booster with a 00 RAM van MC and it will lock up my D60/14B w/ dual piston calipers all the way around with no problem. Total cost was around $80 with lines and fittings.

I'm gonig to look into a different master-- I don't think I'm at the point of needing hydro assist, even with 35's, I'm still limited that I only have 2-piston (vanco) 15" disc breaks. . vaccum with a properly sized MC should be more than enough to man handle it.

Put a wj master and booster in. I put on my 88 and it was night and day difference. Then went to wj calipers and I can lock up at any speed

Put a wj master and booster in. I put on my 88 and it was night and day difference. Then went to wj calipers and I can lock up at any speed

what size tires/wheels are you running?

Back