• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lets say...

CMNCHE

NAXJA Forum User
You were cutting locking rings off D44 rear axle shafts and you acidentally nicked the shaft with the torch, but filled in the nick with weld, how much strength would be lost?

CMNCHE said:
You were cutting locking rings off D44 rear axle shafts and you acidentally nicked the shaft with the torch, but filled in the nick with weld, how much strength would be lost?

Ummmm....you cut the rings off with a torch? Okay.....I am gonna say you lost a bunch of strength, if you got it hot enough to "nick" it, you screwed up any heat treating it had. I would replace the shaft....or get a replacement for when it snaps.

Now, that said, I have never used a torch to cut locking rings off, a cold chisel works just fine, and I have never cut ino a shaft...so I am mostly speaking from a "common sense" postition and have no 1st hand knowledge.

So in other words....JMHO

Rev

Back