• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Window mechanism

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i was driving the other day and my passanger side window just dropped down into the door. The switch on the driver side door or even the switch on that door doesn't work to raise the window either. I took the door apart and nothing looks wrong other then the fact i can lift the window by hand. Any ideas of what this could be? I am lost. thanks

Check to make sure the nut that holds the window onto the regulator didn't fall off - I've had it happen. It's rare, but it happens (and to manual and power windows!)

There is, as I recall, a single nut at the bottom of the window glass that threads onto a stud that actually goes through the glass - take the door liner off and see if it's rattling around loose at the bottom. Hopefully, that's it, and you're good to go in about 15 minutes (if not, the regulator assembly is shot - someone here who's been dealing with XJ Power Windows should be able to chime in here...)

5-90

You have automatic windows/doors etc, then, I am assuming? This happened to my dad's WJ. He said he walked back to his car from lunch one day and his passenger window was down all the way. He didn't think he left it down, and sure enough, he didn't. He had to replace the automatic motor that lifts the window. I think it was $400+ to replace the motor and the glass. This also happened to my friend's WJ, also on the passenger side. Coincidence? Not sure.

Ok i was driving the other day and my passanger side window just dropped down into the door. The switch on the driver side door or even the switch on that door doesn't work to raise the window either. I took the door apart and nothing looks wrong other then the fact i can lift the window by hand. Any ideas of what this could be? I am lost. thanks
What year??? I'm assuming it's an XJ, right???

I just went through this last week. there is a big snake-like pipe cleaner looking gizmo that probably snapped off from the regulator unit. I believe this is why you can manually push your window up. You may find this curled up at the side of your door.

I didn't realize that until I purchased a new regulator unit and I compared the old one with the new. the unit cost me $150.00 from the dealer. I'd call a couple though as the price seems to fluxuate from 100 to 150.

Felt the need to say that when I went to the dealer and asked for the window regulator he chuckled and said they have them in stock since they sell 'thousands of them'. nice.

Last edited:
Back