• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hubs, Brakes, Ideas?

csudman

NAXJA Forum User
This is about my bro's 98 xj. Under hard braking, in drivers side area, there is a weird, pulsating grinding. Its unlike any rotor I've ever heard before, so I dont think thats it. The rotors were turned about a month ago. On visial inspection, they look to be fine. Which leads me to the hub bearings. I'm thinking they me be going bad. The noise only happens under hard braking, So I'm thinking that when I brake that way, more weight is put on the bearings, causing the noise. Ideas?

csudman said:
This is about my bro's 98 xj. Under hard braking, in drivers side area, there is a weird, pulsating grinding. Its unlike any rotor I've ever heard before, so I dont think thats it. The rotors were turned about a month ago. On visial inspection, they look to be fine. Which leads me to the hub bearings. I'm thinking they me be going bad. The noise only happens under hard braking, So I'm thinking that when I brake that way, more weight is put on the bearings, causing the noise. Ideas?

ABS?

Wheel bearing maybe? Get the wheel(s) off the ground and use a long pry bar or 2x4 to shove it around and look for slop.

XJXJ said:
ABS?

Wheel bearing maybe? Get the wheel(s) off the ground and use a long pry bar or 2x4 to shove it around and look for slop.

Doesnt feel like abs either. I'm gonna pull it apart tongiht. We'll see. I'm afraid if its the hub, I won't be able to tell. But I guess I can use the good old process of ellimination. Some idot at Tire Kingdom said it was his transfer case. Cause when you put in 4wh on pavment the steering wheel jerked when you turned. Idoits. All of them.

csudman said:
Doesnt feel like abs either. I'm gonna pull it apart tongiht. We'll see. I'm afraid if its the hub, I won't be able to tell. But I guess I can use the good old process of ellimination. Some idot at Tire Kingdom said it was his transfer case. Cause when you put in 4wh on pavment the steering wheel jerked when you turned. Idoits. All of them.

If it's the hub you can probably tell. Jack up the suspect wheel and wiggle it around, and rotate it. A good hub should have zero play and no noise or roughness. You might do well to retract the brake pads a little first, so you can hear and feel the hub better, but you might not even need to do that if the hub is bad enough. Though the noise described sounds much more like a hub, don't forget to check the universal joints while you're at it, and also double check the tie rods. Sometimes a bad tie rod can sound like a bad rotor.

Back