• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1st gear lockout and torque converter switches

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have re-written my write up on locking out first gear so you can stay in 2nd and slow up enough without getting thrown forward when the auto wants to use 1st instead.

I also added a write up on how to lock your torque converter so that you can get better engine braking on those slippery steep hills where using your foot brake will only speed you up and cause you to loose steering control. I only see this mod for emergency use as the torque converter lock is not designed to have high loads on it or any load coming from the wheels instead of the engine.

See my site under the electrical section of the index.

www.go.jeep-xj.info

I did this mod a few years ago....I wish I would have had your write up when I did it..I don't remember where I got my write up from but it wasn't as good as yours.
When I did mine I also wired a cutoff switch to the TCU so I could manually put it in any gear I wanted.

Gojeep said:
I have re-written my write up on locking out first gear so you can stay in 2nd and slow up enough without getting thrown forward when the auto wants to use 1st instead.

I also added a write up on how to lock your torque converter so that you can get better engine braking on those slippery steep hills where using your foot brake will only speed you up and cause you to loose steering control. I only see this mod for emergency use as the torque converter lock is not designed to have high loads on it or any load coming from the wheels instead of the engine.

www.go.jeep-xj.info

You rock man! Thanks!
Billy

Gojeep said:

www.go.jeep-xj.info
Your site kicksass!
If only I could have 2 homepages yours would be one of em!

I know of Nissans having a problem with using this setup after long periods of time but not yet of the same with the AW4. If any one has had problems after using a setup like this I would like to hear please and under what cirumstances it failed and how long it had been used before it did.

I have heard one problem so far. My friend did this and has been running with the tcu disconnected with the 2nd gear switch installed. When he toggled the switch over to 2nd gear the engine stutters and nearly dies but it rarely happens. He is trying to fix it by putting a reverse bias diode to ground( dont remeber from which wire will find out later). I give you a heads up if it works. My 2nd gear switch works fine and hasnt had any problems.

Back