NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 15th, 2017, 04:51
NAXJA Member

LED Fog Lamps

Now that I've wasted my money on LEDS that won't work in my 98 XJ...I need to ask a question that I'm sure has been asked before.

Is there a good direct LED replacement for the stock fog lamps....that won't drive my mechanic crazy trying to make it work?

Thanks in advance!
Old June 15th, 2017, 05:53
NAXJA Forum User

Re: LED Fog Lamps

I'd like to know the same... I have a set of LED headlights that I'm running on my '01 XJ that I like but still have the OE bulbs in my stock fog lights.
Old June 15th, 2017, 06:16
NAXJA Forum User

LEDs in the stock fog light housing would be crap. The housing, which is a nicely made, is not designed for LED bulbs. You would just scatter light everywhere, and possibly reduce your visibility, and definitely blind other drivers. The low mounting points of fogs are by design to light up a small section of road in front and larger section to the sides with a narrow beam during foul weather.

Best thing you can do is make a relay harness for them, just like a headlight harness. Follow that up with some quality 55w bulbs. I created a harness and had some Hella yellow bulbs shipped from relatives in Germany, and they are now amazing foul weather lights. Cost less than $35 to boot.
Old June 15th, 2017, 06:24
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonXJ View Post
LEDs in the stock fog light housing would be crap. The housing, which is a nicely made, is not designed for LED bulbs. You would just scatter light everywhere, and possibly reduce your visibility, and definitely blind other drivers. The low mounting points of fogs are by design to light up a small section of road in front and larger section to the sides with a narrow beam during foul weather.

Best thing you can do is make a relay harness for them, just like a headlight harness. Follow that up with some quality 55w bulbs. I created a harness and had some Hella yellow bulbs shipped from relatives in Germany, and they are now amazing foul weather lights. Cost less than $35 to boot.
I don't disagree that the OE Housings would be a bad idea for LED bulbs... nice idea you have. Part of the reason I've not really messed w/the OE fogs is because I've always planned on replacing the front bumper w/something else that would remove the OE fog lights all together. Then maybe I can add in some nice round LED driving lights to the aftermarket bumper... but that's still somewhere down the road for me.
Old June 15th, 2017, 09:41
NAXJA Forum User

Why LEDs no work on your 98?

I had a problem running LEDs in my 98. They were causing some dash lights to be partially lit and high beams were stuck on. Once I pulled the fog light relay in the fuse box under the hood, all was fixed and LEDs worked like a charm.
Old June 15th, 2017, 11:39
NAXJA Member

Quote:

X2. Im not against LEDs, but I think halogens in quality housings can make better more focused beams for lower cost.
Old June 16th, 2017, 03:50
NAXJA Member

Thanks for all the help. Looks like I'll stay with OEM. Lesson learned!
Old June 16th, 2017, 12:39
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:

This!
I've been there and done that. It's a great idea to do for your headlights as well.

Why on earth would you pay a mechanic to install fog lights? It's VERY easy.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old June 16th, 2017, 12:40
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkins View Post
Why LEDs no work on your 98?

I had a problem running LEDs in my 98. They were causing some dash lights to be partially lit and high beams were stuck on. Once I pulled the fog light relay in the fuse box under the hood, all was fixed and LEDs worked like a charm.
If you pulled the relay, how on earth did you get the fog lights to work?

Magic?
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old June 18th, 2017, 03:58
NAXJA Member

Got a broken ankle...aint gonna be bending, crouching and crawling under that bumper!