• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sick and Tired of breaking stock electric fan shrouds!

nicpaige

NAXJA Forum User
Obviously the stock plastic fan shrouds are not meant for any abuse, I have gone through two of them because the shroud breaks at the mounting points. This causes an imbalance and the destruction begins. So my question is.
Is their a better quality fan replacement for my 2000 XJ that actually fits the radiator size? I know of the Taurus upgrades but would like something not nearly as tall. I think the Taurus fan extends 4" below radiator.
Does anyone make a nice dual fan setup to replace both manual and electric fan that actually outperforms the stock setup?

My first question is "Why are yours breaking?" I am not aware of it being a common failure mode.

Do you have the metal clips in place at the bottom to hold it securely in its slots?

Is that bottom piece of sheet metal intact and still properly supported by the rest of the chassis?

Methinks something else is going on to cause this problem, and I suspect that whatever that root cause is it may have impact on any alternatives you select too.

I have the fan tabs inserted into the slots and the two bolts at the top secured. Do you have a pic of these "clips"? Maybe I am missing something.

See here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1108665

And in searching for that I was reminded, the slots into which the tabs insert are part of the radiator itself, not the chassis sheet metal.

Another detail to consider is the presence and condition of the rubber cushions above and below your radiator. I have found the lower ones to be completely missing in some vehicles. I think they stick to the old radiator and some folks don't pay attention when installing the new radiator. The only replacements I have been able to find have been in the junkyard.

Don't forget to check motor mounts, on more than one occasion I have seen the engine move enough to bang the PS pulley into the shroud.

Post up a pic of what's going on! One of the lower shroud mounting ears broke off on my 2000 about 15yrs ago. I tried to JB weld it on but it always breaks, but it has never failed in 17yrs!

I have the cheapest crazy glue at Wal Mart works great on the black plastic on both fan shrouds.

I have had the stock e-fan in and out of the Jeep several times, and nothing has gotten broken. I agree that you need to have the e-fan clips and the radiator bushings, and that worn out motor mounts allow excessive movement.

Just a follow up here. As someone mentioned I did not have the clips installed on the bottom tabs. This must have led to the excessive vibration and failure. I have been picking fan shroud pieces out of every crevasse in my engine bay. Installed a new fan with new clips and everything works well.

That's interesting, I've had my jeep...without those clips for 40k miles, fan in and out several times, and nothing ever broke.

Back