NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 21st, 2016, 02:24
NAXJA Member

Smittybuilt XRC rear bumper/tire carrier questions

I picked this unit up used local for real cheap but I didn't get the nut stripes for mounting it. I cannot find any info for just the mounting hardware on Smittybuilts website.

Will a regular XJ trailer hitch nut strip work?

And where do I find everything I need for mounting the HiLift and jerry can.

And lastly, will I need to beef up the rear springs, this thing is heavy! I'm currently running Rubicon Express 3.5" springs with HD Engineering shackle box relocators with a total lift around 5.5" and 35's.

I have a set of Old Man Emule HD springs I could bastard pack with the RE springs to add some back bone to the rear but I'm sure flex will suck. I wheel this thing, mostly rocks
Old June 21st, 2016, 05:56
NAXJA Member # 1375

Re: Smittybuilt XRC rear bumper/tire carrier questions

I would think that the regular nut strip would work since it uses the same holes.

The jerry can just straps to the inside left side in the picture below. You can see the high lift mounts that came with it in the same picture. Some day I'm going to mount it different as it interferes with the rear hatch opening and sticks out to where someone is going to hit their face on it someday...

If you don't have a spare hanging off the back already I would think that you will have the rear sag a little with the bumper and a spare hanging off the back.

Picture: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...NCLTIyeEsxUFNB
Old June 21st, 2016, 07:04
NAXJA Member # 1375

By the way I'm running RE 3.5" springs all the way around with stock shackles and sit level. I have the matching front bumper with a winch so I have weight on the front too.
Old June 21st, 2016, 08:00
NAXJA Member

Like others have said, tank straps in (buy the Midwest can, most standard size cans will not fit!). A regular nut strip will work as I remember the Smitty built uses the factory holes. I too am running RE front and rear 3.5" leafs/springs and I have no sag (even with an engine that weighs ~100lbs lighter than the 4.0). I do however have a steel bumper up front as well though to even things out.
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:03
NAXJA Member

I have this tire carrier, I didn't like how far the tire stuck out so I ended up cutting the tire mount off and pushing it closer to the hatch and welding it back up. I did lose the space for the Jerry can, and had to mount my hi lift differently, so if you want the hi lift mounts and the Jerry can strap you can have them as long as you cover the shipping.
Old June 21st, 2016, 11:07
NAXJA Forum User

XJ trailrider, I have the same setup and used factory nutstrips for mine. I still have the smittybilt nutsrips sitting in my toolbox. If you want them, PM me your address and I will send them to you USPS.
Old June 21st, 2016, 11:13
NAXJA Forum User

Use your existing nut strip unless you want new nuts up there.
Old June 21st, 2016, 19:46
NAXJA Member

Thanks for the awesome responses!

I removed my aftermarket hitch to give to the owner of the bumper, he needed a hitch, I needed a bumper, it worked out. My hitch did not use the nutstrips, it had the T-bolts that drop in from the top of the frame.

Right now my 35" spare is in the back so that weight won't change, just the addition of the bumper and the tire being further back.

I PM a couple of you so please check your inbox.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 07:11
NAXJA Forum User

I'll rephrase my response a little. IMO, you are overthinking the problem here. You have existing fasteners that worked in the same holes you are trying to use for your bumper. Just reuse the existing fasteners and go wheel.

Quote:
Right now my 35" spare is in the back so that weight won't change, just the addition of the bumper and the tire being further back.
You'd be surprised how moving 100+ lbs that is mostly over your leafs to 36" or so behind them can change things. Exact same concept as using a cheater bar. May not be a big deal but it is something you should keep an eye on and you may need to move your shackle to compensate if your rear end drops below your front.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 07:23
Member Number 257

My Friend Andy @ Ironman4x4fab makes nut strips now. He however does not use the last nut on the outside of the unibody. So it is 4 instead of 5 IIRC.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 18:54
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
My Friend Andy @ Ironman4x4fab makes nut strips now. He however does not use the last nut on the outside of the unibody. So it is 4 instead of 5 IIRC.
Thanks Glen, I have some coming I think so I should be good, if not, he will get my business!
Old August 28th, 2016, 17:43
NAXJA Forum User

How do you guys like the smittybilt bumper? Is it holding up? Do any of you have pictures of the bumper you'd like to share? I am concerned about the tire sticking out far, has this been a issue? Does it look good from the side?
Old August 28th, 2016, 18:13
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

I pulled them from my site because of the amount of complaints over fit, finish and poor quality in general.
Old August 28th, 2016, 18:58
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheel98cherokee View Post
How do you guys like the smittybilt bumper? Is it holding up? Do any of you have pictures of the bumper you'd like to share? I am concerned about the tire sticking out far, has this been a issue? Does it look good from the side?
Mine fit fine, even with dealing with the shackle relocation boxes. I also made the carrier work with a jerry can and mounted the HiLift verticle

Here is my thread; http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1131767
Old August 28th, 2016, 19:36
NAXJA Member

The only thing I didn't like was how far it stuck out. It got hung up easily and I though it looked kinda goofy. I ended up cutting the tire carrier off the swingout and trimming it a bit and then welding it back up. I lost the jerry can mount and had to mount the hi lift a little differently, but i'm now satisfied with the clearance and how it looks.

Last edited by two_door_rob; August 28th, 2016 at 19:55.