NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 17th, 2017, 10:39
NAXJA Member

C8.25 4.56 brand of gears = howling

hey all i need some wisdom,

Ive asked a shop about installing the gears that i have, Usa standards, in which they said in the C8.25 often howl, and recommended G2, randys, or yukon gears.

Is there any truth to this or are the full of it because they dont sell the brand?

i dont want to burn gears up here
Old June 17th, 2017, 10:46
NAXJA Forum User

C8.25 4.56 brand of gears = howling

I have a set of Yukons in my 8 1/4. 4.10s. I bought the higher cost gears. Mine do have a little bit of gear noise at certain rpms. What's interesting is when I ordered my gears from Randys ring and pinion the sales agent stated that they have 2 different choices. 1 more OEM quality and the 2nd being lesser quality. He also stated that both set would have some noise being an aftermarket performance gear. The higher quality OEM spec gear would be less noisy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 17th, 2017, 19:25
NAXJA Member

Re: C8.25 4.56 brand of gears = howling

I called the supplier who insists these any many other gears are the same with different names on the box.
Perhaps it's a bunk shop, dunno but it's a large amount of dough that they are missing out on now.
Old June 18th, 2017, 07:46
NAXJA Member

Let us be honest about this situation as a whole. I DO NOT know this for sure, but I would put a small wager on the possibility that USA Standard Gears are built by Randy's, YUKON, or some other well known company. I would also say that they don't meet the standard (see what I did there) to be the top shelf stuff that sells for a lot more money, but are still well within useable specs and can thus be sold at a cheaper price as opposed to scrapping them all together at a loss.

So, I would say find another shop to install that really does a good job, and go for it, If you bought them new, they should have a warranty on them and you could get reimbursed for the install costs if there were to be an issue. Look them over and see if you find any anomalies which would make you reconsider. Good luck.
Old June 18th, 2017, 09:59
NAXJA Forum User

G2?
Someone actually recommended those?
They used to be known as Genuine Gear (2 G's = G2). Out the real world they were always known as Genu-Whine Gear for obvious reasons.

I made the mistake of installing a couple of sets for some local guy's and those were a huge mistake. So much so that I won't install anything that isn't purchased from me.
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:52
NAXJA Forum User

The ranges for acceptable on backlash, pinion preload and the resultant pattern on the gears are incredibly small. Also, were they broken in properly? If you don't have that info and can't prove they were installed properly, good luck trying to get a warranty replacement. The cheaper gears like USA Standard are known to make a little noise but I would bet on something else if they are howling.
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:07
NAXJA Forum User

I think its more on install... I have 4:56 Motives and no noise at all.
Old June 19th, 2017, 22:03
NAXJA Member

to clarify i havent installed yet, this particular shop just swears this brand in my axle makes noise. sounds like crap to me, based on all the other things im reading. setup and maybe mild noise, however DOES it go away once they were in and what are the break in points/ or will the shop give me this, when to change new gear oil.
Old June 20th, 2017, 08:41
NAXJA Forum User

Gear whine does not go away by itself. You should follow the instructions provided by your gear supplier/installer. They typically read something like this:

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/ft-14...procedure.html

It sounds like you purchased the gears without first finding an installer who will install them. Lesson learned.

Typically its better to find the installer first. Typically there is "no warranty" on customer supplied parts so any problems get into a 3 way head banging between the installer, the gear supplier, and yourself. It's typically easier not to do things this way.

Last edited by md21722; June 20th, 2017 at 09:23.
Old June 20th, 2017, 09:27
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

They are all the same, just different boxes. Setup is the key with any set of gears.

Motor Mounts, Fabrication tools, and Custom stuff for your Jeep!
Old June 20th, 2017, 09:49
Degenerate Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
sounds like crap to me
Sounds like crap to me too. I'd find another shop to deal with. Maybe post up in your chapter and ask for a recommendation on a reputable gear installer.
Old June 20th, 2017, 10:07
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyFab View Post
They are all the same, just different boxes. Setup is the key with any set of gears.
This. within reason.
There are a few different manufactures. but 90% of all aftermarket gears for axles under a Jeep are manufactured by ONE factory overseas, and then boxed in to a box that has the name you're paying for. The gears in the USA Standard box are commonly known to be of the Higher quality aftermarket manufacture. At least commonly known to those that are actually in the business and not just a quack installer.

But he says the most truth when he says...
Setup is the key with any set of gears.
All your drivetrain And Jeep needs at a Discount! Call us for all your drivetrain & Jeep accessorry needs. If it is for a Jeep we can get it for less and with superior service. Yukon, USA Standard, Motive, Ten factory, Detroit, ARB, Teraflex, Rock Krawler & A LOT MORE..
All items ship FAST! ~ http://www.rwkhaussupply.com ~ Robert@RWKHausSupply.com Free shipping on Rock Krawler kits. Dana 30 no question asked 1yr warranty axle kits FOR LESS!