NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 9th, 2017, 11:40
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Re: Another one of those Dana 44 leaking axle shaft seal threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
Thanks for the insight. The Yukon kits were purchased in the fall of 2015 at ECGS. I have been slow to get this project done.
Be Leary of ECGS. They box "yukon gears" in white boxes (Not ever what Yukon would do), sell master kits with just about any name on them out of white boxes, and sell shafts under many names out of white boxes. Just some of it... Something PORC was caught doing more times then not a decade agoish, and basically closed the doors for a while...
All your drivetrain And Jeep needs at a Discount! Call us for all your drivetrain & Jeep accessorry needs. If it is for a Jeep we can get it for less and with superior service. Yukon, USA Standard, Motive, Ten factory, Detroit, ARB, Teraflex, Rock Krawler & A LOT MORE..
All items ship FAST! ~ http://www.rwkhaussupply.com ~ Robert@RWKHausSupply.com Free shipping on Rock Krawler kits. Dana 30 no question asked 1yr warranty axle kits FOR LESS!
Old June 9th, 2017, 14:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply View Post
Be Leary of ECGS. They box "yukon gears" in white boxes (Not ever what Yukon would do), sell master kits with just about any name on them out of white boxes, and sell shafts under many names out of white boxes. Just some of it... Something PORC was caught doing more times then not a decade agoish, and basically closed the doors for a while...
That's pretty interesting to hear. The gears & install kits I've gotten from them have been in factory boxes such as Spicer or USA Standard. These bearings & seals came in a sealed Yukon package. The SYE came in an Advance Adapters box. The only thing that has come loose has been individual bearings like if you wanted a spare set. I figure they buy them in bulk and use them in the shop. I haven't ordered anything from them online though. I just pick up locally when I'm in Raleigh. What's nice is that everything I've asked for they have in stock.

Last edited by md21722; June 9th, 2017 at 14:14.
Old June 9th, 2017, 14:24
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
That's pretty interesting to hear. The gears & install kits I've gotten from them have been in factory boxes such as Spicer or USA Standard. These bearings & seals came in a sealed Yukon package. The SYE came in an Advance Adapters box. The only thing that has come loose has been individual bearings like if you wanted a spare set. I figure they buy them in bulk and use them in the shop. I haven't ordered anything from them online though. I just pick up locally when I'm in Raleigh. What's nice is that everything I've asked for they have in stock.
I should say not all are in white boxes, and or many they stopped that practice when I informed a customer that brought a bunch of items over for install that were in the shipping box still and we opened it up to see this. And I told him to call them on it,. It was a very shifty thing. and then I read a few other occurrences. Given this was years ago. Maybe 3-4.
All your drivetrain And Jeep needs at a Discount! Call us for all your drivetrain & Jeep accessorry needs. If it is for a Jeep we can get it for less and with superior service. Yukon, USA Standard, Motive, Ten factory, Detroit, ARB, Teraflex, Rock Krawler & A LOT MORE..
All items ship FAST! ~ http://www.rwkhaussupply.com ~ Robert@RWKHausSupply.com Free shipping on Rock Krawler kits. Dana 30 no question asked 1yr warranty axle kits FOR LESS!
Old June 9th, 2017, 15:20
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply View Post
I'm interested in where you got this info? We do not re box anything unless the original packaging is damaged. For a long time Yukon would package other brands of gears in their boxes, I've even installed OE gears out of Yukon boxes, however they now only sell Yukon gears. This was on Randy's/Yukon, not ECGS. All parts we sell are authentic and from the manufacturer advertised. Now some axle kits may come in plain boxes, but that's because we purchase in bulk so we don't have the retail packaging.
Old June 9th, 2017, 20:23
NAXJA Forum User

Looks like worn shaft to me. Garter spring was intact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0847.JPG (56.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by md21722; June 9th, 2017 at 21:01.
Old June 9th, 2017, 20:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILREADYXJ View Post
I'm interested in where you got this info? We do not re box anything unless the original packaging is damaged. For a long time Yukon would package other brands of gears in their boxes, I've even installed OE gears out of Yukon boxes, however they now only sell Yukon gears. This was on Randy's/Yukon, not ECGS. All parts we sell are authentic and from the manufacturer advertised. Now some axle kits may come in plain boxes, but that's because we purchase in bulk so we don't have the retail packaging.
You probably buy shafts by the crate since you sell pre-assembled axle assemblies.
Old June 10th, 2017, 03:07
NAXJA Member

Quote:
You probably buy shafts by the crate since you sell pre-assembled axle assemblies.
Exactly! We go through a bunch of shafts.
Old June 10th, 2017, 03:12
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Looks like worn shaft to me. Garter spring was intact.
It doesn't look like there's grooving or pitting in the pic, just the polished area, can you feel anything with your fingernail? You can probably just clean the seal surface with some 220 grit emery cloth and be fine if no groves or pits.

Did you check the breather?
Old June 10th, 2017, 09:26
NAXJA Forum User

Its hard to jam my fingernail in there so I used a small pick. Definitely feel an indent where the seal rides.
Old June 10th, 2017, 22:08
NAXJA Forum User

I bought the G2 axles up in Denver since it was faster than shipping. It comes with Timken bearings and CR seals. However, the retainer plates aren't right at least for the early 44's. There is a note on the 4WP website to this effect but I didn't see it until after I realized the holes don't like up . So it's cut the bearing and retainer off and do it again.
Old June 11th, 2017, 17:34
NAXJA Forum User

On a side note, has anyone tried using a press and bearing splitter to remove the bearing rather than cutting it off? The collar splits after a 3" cutoff wheel gets about 3/4 of the way through but the bearing is more of a headache...
Old June 12th, 2017, 02:43
NAXJA Member

Quote:
On a side note, has anyone tried using a press and bearing splitter to remove the bearing rather than cutting it off? The collar splits after a 3" cutoff wheel gets about 3/4 of the way through but the bearing is more of a headache...
You can use a splitter and a press, but I usually just cut them. If you cut the cage off first, then cut the bearing 3/4 of the way (like the retainer), and air hammer with a chisel bit usually knocks the rest off easily, obviously watch hitting the seal surface with the hammer.

If you choose to try to press it, removing the retainer first will help a lot, and I cover/wrap the bearing with a rag so if the cage pops you aren't dealing with shrapnel.

Last edited by TRAILREADYXJ; June 12th, 2017 at 02:48.