• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tap & die set recommendations

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

im looking for a tap an die set recommended you all. im thinking of doing a hackntap on an np242 and i dont want to buy some junk thats prone to snapping.

i imagine a snap on kit is buku money and i doubt ide use it much outside of this project, at least very rarely, so thats not really in my realm of real options.

im open to all other fairly decent makers

thanks for any recommendations

If you don't think you will use it much outside of this project then I would suggest just buying the taps you will need for this project.

Any good quality set is going to be beaucoup bucks. Especially if you want it to be complete. And even then it probably won't be adequately complete.

I have a standard set and a metric set, and I still end up buying more taps because I end up needing a bottoming tap, or some oddball thread that isn't in my sets. A truly complete set would probably take up most of a tool chest.

I usually get my taps at a local industrial hardware store. I don't know what brand they are, but they get the job done. (I would have to get out a magnifying glass to read whatever is stamped on them.)

Avoid the cheap stuff. Use the right size drill bits. Use a cutting oil (Tap Magic, or dark cutting oil (should have sulfur in it)). Keep things straight (set up a reference above the hole so you don't wander in the process of tapping the hole. I often tap material on the drill press table with the chuck directly over the tap handle.). Back up often to clear the chips. It is not rocket surgery.

Maybe its just me but the Dewalt taps I have used made for less side to side play of the bolt when threaded into the tapped hole than Irwin. I use Tap Magic for cutting oil.

A pilot hole is your friend.

Maybe its just me but the Dewalt taps I have used made for less side to side play of the bolt when threaded into the tapped hole than Irwin. I use Tap Magic for cutting oil.

A pilot hole is your friend.

thanks for the recommendations. I dont think i trust irwin for this type of application haha. I dont know much about dewalt for taps but ill read up for sure.

As long as you don't end up needing a tap removal tool you're doing just fine.

No.

Not another tool I need.

You is a bad influence.

I will put it on my wish list. Maybe The Varmints will get it for me for Father's Day.

damnit, there goes 30 bucks... Thanks a lot.

My pleasure. :D But they do come with their own little holder. How can you resist that?

Today I'm thankful that I can't fit a half dozen more sockets in my toolbox.

I'm not thankful that Tim is yet again trying to make me buy tools. ;)

You clearly need another toolbox.

Back