• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cluster swap write up...

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Gauge Cluster write up, just finished the install / write up. check it out here:

http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/Gauge.html

easy enough, just thought i'd add this to the search function on :NAXJA so others would be able to find it.

search terms:
Gauge, Gauge Cluster, Temp Sender, Oil Pressure Sender, Gauge Swap, Idiot Lights, Tachometer
I had fun... and everytihng works!

thoughts anyone?

my tach worked just by plugining in. The guages should just swap, but the oil/temp senders are in different locations.

Nice writeup. I haven't had time to really look at it for completeness but it looks great. I've swapped a few of these and like you say, it isn't all that hard and it is a nice upgrade.

This type of article is exactly what I would like to see added to the NAXJA tech pages. Thanks for the hard work in documenting it for the masses.

Nice write-up XJ-Ranger. I'm getting ready to try something similar.

My 87 Laredo is in metric (ex-canadian jeep). I picked up an American spec cluster from a 93 Laredo. They both have the same gauges, just one is in metric. I'm not sure if it is a direct swap or not, but am going to try it in the near future.

-Copperhead

copperhead said:
Nice write-up XJ-Ranger. I'm getting ready to try something similar.

My 87 Laredo is in metric (ex-canadian jeep). I picked up an American spec cluster from a 93 Laredo. They both have the same gauges, just one is in metric. I'm not sure if it is a direct swap or not, but am going to try it in the near future.

-Copperhead
the pre-91 XJ has a speedo cable, 91+ is all electronic. im not sure as to the compatibility, but getting into the space where you can see the back of the gauges is ease enough. Im not sure if you can fab something to make the old calbe style, - it might be easier to use a new speed sensor and use some wires... im not sure on that. let us know how it goes...

That background makes reading that text almost painful. Why not something a little more user-friendly? (The writeup was good, I like pic-by-pic writeups)

background changed

thanks for the input

Excellent writeup. I had one quick question if i were buying those sensors from a local auto parts store would i just ask for a oil pressure switch and a temp sender for any cherokee? does it have to be the same year as the vehicle that donated the cluster, the year of the cherokee it's being switched into? Thanks

Mike

Nice write-up...
It's been a few years since I did this swap on my '88 (I used the cluster from an '89), I don't remember swapping any sensors or sending units...
I remember just swapping the actual clusters out and everything working fine.
Maybe I'm starting to lose my memory...

Good job tho... nice documentation

mylilchero said:
When i order the senders i am going to to try to go local so do i just ask for an oil pressure sending switch and a temp sender or do i have to request a specific year.
I am not sure as to the different year desegnations on the senders, however, it makes sense to me that getting 95 senders for a 95 cherokee would work. Just make sure to get the "Oil pressure sender" and the "temerature sender" for the guages. The parts store guy should have 2 different part numbers, and you want the one forthe full guage package.
Some stores will label them as "Oil Pressure Switch" but this is the same thing. Click on the link in my write up to go to kragen's website and copy the part numbers into their search box. They have a picutre of what the part should look like.

Unfortunately, the senders that arent guage package senders look the same, so if you pop the new senders in, and you get no guage movement, then take it back, and get a different one...

mylilchero said:
Thanks for a great writeup.
Mike
cool, im workin on other write ups, to help people out...

glad that it could help you...
anyother questions, let me know, ill be glad to help

EDIT:
I got sick of dealing with SBCGlobal and Geocities... so the same info can be found at my new website:
http://www.opiebennett.com/Gauge.htm

Last edited:
Great write up.. I just did the swap today after reading it last nite... Just happened to know where a cluster was in a '96.......

This is a trick that I tried today... instell the sending units first..... If the OIL Pressure unit is the one that you need the oil LIGHT will come on and stay on...... The coolant temp didnt change.... BE SURE TO GET THE 14 MM COOLANT UNIT.....Take a wrench with you and check it.. after 3 trios to Autozone they finally said that "well I guess we dont carryt it.".......So I go to NAPA and get it on the first try........

Also I thought of this after I got home.... I could have roibbed the units off the donor vehicle and saved even more $$$$$...... they are so easy to change it would be worth a try.......

OK, dont know if this is a hijack, sorry if it is.

I have a '89 non HO, and need to swap in a tach. Should I just look for a non HO with a tach? Do I just unplug and plug? Or do I have to get a new temp gauge and oil preasure sensor?
Thanks

Good write up. I did the swap myself on my old 96 xj(have a 98 now). Everything went smooth, but neither Napa or Kragen had one of them(forget which one) so I ended up paying an arm and a leg at the dealership. I also figured out how to roll back the speedo on the cluster I swapped in, so its all good now and looks completly stock and mileage even matches.

I did this a couple of weeks ago. Mine is a '92 all-electric. The gauge cluster was NOS and showed 0 miles. hahah funny to see my jeep have 0 miles. i went to the junkyard and stole my temp sender and oil pressure senders. (they have ripped me plenty of times for crap they weren't going to sell anyway, i know its wrong but this is how i justify it to myself) the stock ones showed no temp and lots of oil pressure. i used some old sensors from an '90 so i had to solder on some new blade connectors. the stock stuff was waterproof, so i need to heat shrink my new connections.

Very nice right up! If I happen to buy this '88 I'm looking at will I have to swap clusters to get a tach? Gil stated he went from an '88 to an '89 and if his memory is holding up that he didn't have to mess w/ any sensors. Is this correct?

Thanks, Jason

Starboard M said:
OK, dont know if this is a hijack, sorry if it is.

I have a '89 non HO, and need to swap in a tach. Should I just look for a non HO with a tach? Do I just unplug and plug? Or do I have to get a new temp gauge and oil preasure sensor?
Thanks
you will need the speedo cable from the vehicle that you take the cluster from (based on my research... not my expierence)
Everything else should be a direct bolt in. The temp sender and oil pressure sender might be in a different place...
hopefully 5-90 will chime in, he knows a lot about different engine layouts at least with the 4.0L...

For the 89, you will need a cluster from a 84-90 and the speedo cable that it came with... and everything else should be bolt in. The senders need to be replaced

does this help?

Back