• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 cherokee chief

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
I have the opertunity to get a 86 cherokee chief (XJ Version)and was wondering since it has that all time highly desirable 2.8 in it what gearing it would have?
what axels?
not really interested in keeping it as a driver more so as parts was the chief sub model something special ?

sorry dont have a ehole lotta time to look this up gotta head to work and let the guy know tonight before he lets it go to the junkyard

dzraces said:
I have the opertunity to get a 86 cherokee chief (XJ Version)and was wondering since it has that all time highly desirable 2.8 in it what gearing it would have?
what axels?
not really interested in keeping it as a driver more so as parts was the chief sub model something special ?

sorry dont have a ehole lotta time to look this up gotta head to work and let the guy know tonight before he lets it go to the junkyard
it is very likely that it is 2.8 but it had 4.11's geared axles.

Gearing: Most 2.8s that I've seen have 3.73, some had 4.10, not sure what else they might have used.

Axles: Rear - will be a non C-clip D35. Front - HP D30, could be disco or non-disco depending on the transfer case used. Also could have those amazing :rolleyes: CV axle shafts in it. The other option for axle shafts was the 260 u-joint shafts.

Transfer Case: Either the 207 (part time) or whatever the full time version was back then. As far as I know neither of these are desirable.

Not sure about manual transmissions, but if it's an auto it will be a torqueflight 904, the AW4 didn't show up until 87.

What condition is it in? Does it run? Very much less desireable than a later model year. I have a couple 3.4's available if you are considering keeping it.

seems to be in ok shape in and out but bearly runs ( seems to have carb problems and a bad head or head gasket) really all i want it for is axels and a few interior parts, the windshield and the grill other than that ill part out anything with value and put it back in my ever growing junk pile till i get the scrap guy to come get it all

4.10's would be nice but 3.73 works since im staying with 31 inch tires and towing a small trailer on longer events

desertjeeper said:
Gearing: Most 2.8s that I've seen have 3.73, some had 4.10, not sure what else they might have used.

Axles: Rear - will be a non C-clip D35. Front - HP D30, could be disco or non-disco depending on the transfer case used. Also could have those amazing :rolleyes: CV axle shafts in it. The other option for axle shafts was the 260 u-joint shafts.

Transfer Case: Either the 207 (part time) or whatever the full time version was back then. As far as I know neither of these are desirable.

Not sure about manual transmissions, but if it's an auto it will be a torqueflight 904, the AW4 didn't show up until 87.

Hey! It Luther! Where the hell have you been?

desertjeeper said:
I've been around, just not doing much with the XJ lately (other priorities). I still come on here to read occasionally.

Cool! Keep in touch!

Back