• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifting my XJ

Natelazz618

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 3 inch lift on my jeep already with longer lower control arms upgraded shocks for the lift. In the front I have a rubicon lift and in the rear I have blocks other than that I don't know much about it because I didn't put it on. I'm looking at putting a 2 inch budget lift on top of that for more tire clearence. I was just wondering what all I will need for adding the lift? I.e (shocks, track bar drop, pitman, ect) thanks! -Nate

So I have a 3 inch lift on my jeep already with longer lower control arms upgraded shocks for the lift. In the front I have a rubicon lift and in the rear I have blocks other than that I don't know much about it because I didn't put it on. I'm looking at putting a 2 inch budget lift on top of that for more tire clearence. I was just wondering what all I will need for adding the lift? I.e (shocks, track bar drop, pitman, ect) thanks! -Nate
First, get rid of the blocks in the rear, they cause nothing but trouble and bent leaf springs. Buy new leaf springs and shackles that get you to the desired height.
At 5" of lift, you will need an adjustable track bar.
Also plan on an SYE and new rear CV driveshaft, to prevent vibs. You can try a transfercase drop but 5" is pushing it.
You do not need a different pitman arm but will want dropped brackets, to regain the ride quality caused by the extreme control arm angles.
You will need to adjust and/or align the rear driveshaft's u-joint angles, the front suspension, the steering and the front axle's u-joint pinion angle.

First, get rid of the blocks in the rear, they cause nothing but trouble and bent leaf springs. Buy new leaf springs and shackles that get you to the desired height.
At 5" of lift, you will need an adjustable track bar.
Also plan on an SYE and new rear CV driveshaft, to prevent vibs. You can try a transfercase drop but 5" is pushing it.
You do not need a different pitman arm but will want dropped brackets, to regain the ride quality caused by the extreme control arm angles.
You will need to adjust and/or align the rear driveshaft's u-joint angles, the front suspension, the steering and the front axle's u-joint pinion angle.

Thankyou! I knew breaking that 3 inch was gunna be hard! Thanks this helps a bunch! One question though why are the blocks trouble? I've heard that from a lot of people but never found out why?

One question though why are the blocks trouble? I've heard that from a lot of people but never found out why?

The extra leverage of the blocks will cause the leaf springs to wrap up, twist and bend, plus it leads to bad wheel hop, which breaks things.

Back