• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Progressive coil sag

87xjWagoneer

NAXJA Forum User
Looking around under the jeep today and noticed that the stock height coils appear to be progressive rate. Thay also look like they are sagging yet the jeep rides at normal height. The top 6 or so coils are completely compressed together. So my question is, did my 87 waggy come with progressive rate coils? And is it normal for the first couple coils to be compressed enough to touch even with the jeep sitting at stock height?

No, I don't believe there were OEM progressive rate coils.

Have you owned your 87 since new? A PO might have installed progressive rate coils in it.

Are you saying full coils are touching? Can you post up a picture?

Yeah, if they're touching I'd say they're shot, progressive or not. PO likely put in some progressives off another vehicle. Easy to replace with regular springs, lift or not.

Doesn't sound good due to it sitting on them, and probably not OEM for that reason.

Some police package XJs did come with progressive rate springs IIRC however.

Well it's a woody so definately not a police package. This jeep has had many previous owners but everything looks bone stock. I assumed they ere aftermarket springs and that they were sagging badly but if i measure from centercap to fender flare it's roughly 17 1/4". I'l see if i can get a pic up for you guys.

summitracing.com has Moog Cargo Control progressive rate coil springs for the front of XJs.

Call me dense, I don't see the need for using them in the front, but some people like them.

08-25-10_1505-1.jpg

I have a new theory. My dad says back in the day guys used to torch their springs to lower their ride height. I think maybe the springs were to tall so a PO torched the top coils till it sat at stock height.

Well, those are failed coils for whatever reason.

Replacement time.

Good luck.

Back