• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft length

thompson97

NAXJA Forum User
wrecked my jeep a couple of months ago. pushed the lca's through their framerail mounts:( . shoved the front driveshaft through the transfer case:( . anyway, its done getting pushed and pulled on the frame rack, but i'd like to get it home and do the rest of the work myself.

prob #1- i'm putting in a jb conv. sye (its already done, i'm just gonna have the guy at the shop bolt it in)

prob #2- i'm putting in a ford 8.8 in the rear

prob #3- i'm going from 4.5" to approx. 7" in lift

prob #4- the guy at the shop is impatient cuz he's running behind, and i don't have a driveshaft for him. (but he hasn't put in my t-case, so how am i expected to measure for a new driveshaft?)

now the question.... i did some prelim measurements to GUESS the length of a new rear driveshaft. with the new t-case, ride hieght, and axle, i came to a somewhat educated guess that i'd need about 2 3/4 additional inches in driveshaft length over stock. am i close? any of you have dimensions on yours with similar lift?

BTW - i'm planning on ordering from tom woods. he was suggesting the standard double cardan w/ 1310 u joints, four inches of slip, bla bla bla...

i guess i could just drive it home in 4wd without therear in, but its like 25 miles and would rather not. also, am i correct in assuming that i'll need a new front driveshaft at 7" lift?

I ran an OEM length front shaft at 8" of lift for a long while - I would drive home on the front shaft and then measure it up at home when the pressure level has dropped a notch or two!

Matt

PS: I forgot to mention I ran on that shaft front wheel drive only for about 2 months at highway speeds :eek: ~600 or 700 miles - I think 25 miles will be fine :)

The problem with front driveshafts is how SHORT you can go.... when the fron axle drops, it swings back towards the tcase.

I'm running a stock front d/s with ~5" of lift, and it's close to full compression when the axle is fully drooped.

I've also run it for a few hundred miles when I had some "issues" with the rear driveshaft.

that's a good point, but i'm running long arms now, so i don't think it should be coming back too far. i hope

anyway, thanks for the input guys. i'll pay the man and drive my jeep back in 4 high tomorrow.

Back