• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace Stock Stereo

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I guess in the world of extreme XJ mods this is a little mundane, but here are my question(s).
Looking to upgrade the stock radio. I don't want fancy with a million bells & whistles, just something with detachable face, aux input and maybe bluetooth. I prefer something NOT flashy with all the colors of the rainbow. Priorities are: reliable, able to handle 2 amps (1 of which is a dedicated sub amp), easy to operate and boring to look at.

What are you guys using? Any unusual or stealth installations? Pics/models/links would be great! Thanks

I have a pioneer and it works great. Bluetooth for my phone and ipod, usb and aux hookup, RCAs for the amps (I have one for my subs and one for my front stage) its really quick to load up the music off your ipod too.

Not sure what your budget is but I am a big fan of the Pioneer DEH-80PRS ($295 Prime). Does everything you want and very subtle.

20180520123529-f0ba20e3.jpg

For stealth installations, it's hard to beat the 1FactoryRadio Bluetooth options.

They refurbish OEM radios and add some extra circuit boards to handle Bluetooth and AUX inputs. If you look closely you'll see they've added a little blue button that changes it to bluetooth mode.

I've got the AUX version, and it works great and looks totally stock.

Ooh, that's some seriously sneaky sleeper stuff there. Pity no options for the 84-96 single-DIN crew, but still very slick.

Guys thank you so much for this input. I prefer to avoid the flashiness of the JVC's; it's something I really want to stay away from. The last Pioneer that was posted with the picture... I kind of like the way that looks and sounds in the description and it bears looking into. Kind of pricey though. Now the 1 Factory unit got me really excited except that I'm wondering if there's any way to add power to it so that it could drive even a single Amp. That would be extraordinarily awesome. Does anybody know of any hack for this? Has it been done?

I forgot to add that I do have some CDs still don't know when I'm ever going to find the time to convert them to digital so you know, CD units are not a deal breaker for me. That 1Factory tho...!

The Factory 1 unit is way over priced for what you get! You can transfer the CD material in a heart-beat, so that no excuse for a much more power unit that doesn't way "anything" on the filler panel compared to a CD unit!

Tell me more. I can't do this myself so someone else will do the work. Electronics make my head hurt :) .

The 1Factory idea reminds me that a few of years ago I had an aux jack added to the factory unit in my Durango. It's still there. The quality of the output from the SLT+ system is surprisingly good so I haven't felt the need for an upgrade. But altho my XJ does have what appears to be a factory amp under the back seat, the speakers and possibly the wiring are pretty much shot. Hard to tell if the amp works, but even if it does, it still prolly can't run even a small sub. When they check it, if the amp works I just might have the factory radio modified like the Dodge and try to somehow find a way to make it thump a bit.

What y'all think?

Tell me more. I can't do this myself so someone else will do the work. Electronics make my head hurt :) .

The 1Factory idea reminds me that a few of years ago I had an aux jack added to the factory unit in my Durango. It's still there. The quality of the output from the SLT+ system is surprisingly good so I haven't felt the need for an upgrade. But altho my XJ does have what appears to be a factory amp under the back seat, the speakers and possibly the wiring are pretty much shot. Hard to tell if the amp works, but even if it does, it still prolly can't run even a small sub. When they check it, if the amp works I just might have the factory radio modified like the Dodge and try to somehow find a way to make it thump a bit.

What y'all think?

If you have an amp in the backseat it is likely the factory Infinity amp that is powering your stock speakers. You will still want a separate amp for a subwoofer.

Below is using a line out converter like sinat recommended.

https://youtu.be/j6p0EEL_Bpo

Back