• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement fuel pump/fuel filter/gas tank?

2000NWXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I need to drop the gas tank in my 2000 xj to smoke my evaporative system since a new gas cap did not resolve my evap leak. While I'm in there I would like to replace the fuel pump, fuel filter, and (depending on the price) the tank too. I just installed a rebuilt engine so having a new clean tank sounds like a good idea. Can I get these parts from the dealership? If not what are some quality replacements? Do they sell tanks with the pump and filter ready to go?

it depends where you go to get the tank, sometimes you may be able to get an assembly, but i would recommend a quality pump/filter assembly from the dealership, that is one part you do not want going bad on the trail, especially with fuel injection.

the fuel tank however unless yours leaks, go to your local radiator shop and ask them to clean it for you. usually they will do it for cheaper than a new tank, and you only have to do that being that your tank is gross in the bottom, i know the 2000 doesnt have a metal one so you dont have to worry bout rust.

A new tank runs about $900 for a 97+ XJ. The fuel pump is about $200 from oreilly's and about $400 from the dealer. I had to replace my fuel pump and recently and the shop was not able to get the new pump to seal properly on the tank. This is a common problem with plastic tanks. Now I am saving up for the genright 30 gallon tank because it is the same price as a stock replacement, is aluminum, holds 50% more fuel, and has a 3/16" steel skid plate.

Back