• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping '90 XJ parts to a newer XJ

fourwhldrv

NAXJA Forum User
I searched the archives but could not find an appropriate thread that fit...

I have a 1990 2-dr XJ Sport and it's reaching the end of it's lifespan it seems.

The major issue is the floor rust which--once I removed the carpet--goes well beyond just the front footwells. It's everywhere. Since the XJ is a unibody, the idea of cutting out the ENTIRE floorpan makes me flinch. Not to mention, it's in need of a new engine and complete exhaust.

SO...I have an aging '90 XJ with lots of good stuff on it, including:
Tomken Bumpers
Garvin Roof Rack
RE 4.5" Lift
American Racing Rims

...what newer years could this stuff be swapped to?
(BTW, my XJ has the stock D30 front and D35 rear.)

I do know that there were bumper changes around 1997, but It looks like it's just a cosmetic thing (how the bumper end caps fit in with the fender and the fender flares); but, is there a real difference in the mounting?

The 4 things listed above represent more value than the truck they are hanging on, so I'd like to swap them to another lower mileage XJ...maybe a 1998/9 or later. (Unless someone has a particular model year recommendation.) Can I accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, did they make 2-door models through all model years or did they stop producing them at some point. I'd rather find another 2-dr, but you take what you can get. Thanks.

Doug Jones
'90 XJ Sport

Your lift and rims should work on all XJ models and I'm pretty sure the bumpers will too. I'd go as new as possible, I love the look of the late model XJ's.

Last edited:
Back