NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 28th, 2020, 08:41
NAXJA Member # 13

Re: Bilstein shocks... whatchya gonna runnin??

Sounds familiar.......been very happy with the 5165's on my rig.

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost...&postcount=517
Old May 29th, 2020, 07:53
NAXJA Member

For double the cost I can't see myself going with the remote reservoir series.. Ive read that there is only like a shot glass of fluid in them and the only benefit is for racing type applications it does a better job cooling. I don't have any intentions of baja or jeepspeed in this rig.

I hadnt taken into account that the body might be shorter allowing for more travel though. if its only like an inch, idk that the price is worth it.

Appreciate the input. I def will be checkin out the 5165s... Coulda sworn there is a model around there that was discontinued.
Old May 29th, 2020, 09:50
NAXJA Forum User

Bilstein shocks... whatchya gonna runnin??

I'm definitely with you. Price doesn't mean better. I'll have to research fluid capacity on them.
The 5100 doesn't have a good reputation for nothing

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old May 29th, 2020, 15:51
NAXJA Member

Ya and tbh i need more down travel then up, so valve body length aught not to be a deciding factor.
Im not even for sure of my lift height, but definitely less then 7"s before my tire gets into the fender flares

So that has me curious... Is the shock centered at ride height? Probably slightly compresses right? Just trying to figure out the numbers still... More extension than compression would be ideal.

Last edited by ShoeterMcgav; May 29th, 2020 at 16:40.
Old May 29th, 2020, 16:06
NAXJA Forum User

Shocking enough to cycle suspension from ride height to full stuff to droop.

To me needing more compression than extension means you sacrifice on the extension side because the shock isnt long enough or is improperly mounted.

Limit straps would then need to be used to protect shock on extension.

If the shocks limits travel anywhere it's the limiting factor . Wich it should not be.

Fit the shocks to the suspension not the suspension to the shocks

Old May 29th, 2020, 16:54
NAXJA Member

Well ya thats the goal... I said i would benefit from more down travel then up... Maybe i worded it wrong. More droop ie extension is preferred.

I also understand that when one side goes down the other goes up... So although id like more extension, for that to happen id need the uptravel on the opposite side to allow for it. With the bump stops allowing for still more droop on the opposite side, I want it to articulate as much as possible of course.

Isnt that your idea as well? Low lift high articulation?

I do have bump stops and limiting straps, so the shock isnt the limiting factor- nor should they be. Agreed.

Thats why Im curious to how much of the travel is calculated from ride height. Is it 50/50? Or do they compress a bit at ride height making it closer to 60 down 40 up? Or is it opposite? On say a shock with 11"s of travel, will i get 6"s down and 5"s up? Or is it a split at 5.5"s both ways ya know?

Last edited by ShoeterMcgav; May 29th, 2020 at 16:58.
Old May 29th, 2020, 17:14
NAXJA Forum User

I do have my shocks centered at ride height.
10" stroke 5" available compression at ride height. I'm not using all the shock.
I could likely bottom them out with aggressive driving where both shocks compress equally.
Articulating I'm not bottom a shock. However I am limiting extension so maybe the suspension isnt 50/50 from ride height

I was thinking longer shocks but I might limit strap it since the coils dropping off the upper mount.

Plus I'm spending to much money and dont really need that much extension the shock will always limit extension so I guess my thinking is wrong.

Maybe it can never be 50/50 but can be tuned to be with straps and bump stops

Maybe suspension is tuned to available shock stroke.

Old May 30th, 2020, 15:12
NAXJA Member

Is there a way to calculate shock based on ride height? If compression and extension are equal then if i measure from eye to eye and get the shock for the extended length being half more the ride height... Itd be the same as flexing it? Just not at a point to flex out yet
Old May 30th, 2020, 16:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeterMcgav View Post
Is there a way to calculate shock based on ride height? If compression and extension are equal then if i measure from eye to eye and get the shock for the extended length being half more the ride height... Itd be the same as flexing it? Just not at a point to flex out yet
Not usually, best to flex it out and measure.
Old May 31st, 2020, 12:01
NAXJA Member

Flexing it out is all well and dandy... from what I’ve seen of 5125s and 5100 rears... there’s no need. The math of ride height and dividing the travel length by 2 equals what my old shocks were... and the options aren’t unlimited. So if 16 is my compressed length I have like 2 options. I can’t get 16 compressed 30 extended for 14”s of travel. Even the fox’s and billies with the second reservoir have like 11-12” max.

All the measurements in the world won’t make the perfect shock appear! lol
Old May 31st, 2020, 14:55
NAXJA Member

So when I find vehicle specific 5100s, I have to select rear due to having the top pin mount converted to bolt through via jks... but the 5100 series has bar pins in front and rear- is there a better model of Jeep to search with bar pins eliminated and eyes on top and bottom? Probably a wrangler?
Old May 31st, 2020, 14:57
NAXJA Member

Never thought this would be such a chore... usually just got the best shock upgrade that came with the lift... Rubicon Express doesn’t even do shocks anymore from what I understand... they were good tho
Old May 31st, 2020, 15:48
NAXJA Member

Problem with the shocks having the pins... ya I can just remove them, but then it doesn’t come with the inner sleeve only one for the top... not huge but not ideal
Old May 31st, 2020, 15:56
NAXJA Forum User

You must have missed what the 5125 shock is.

https://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/bilstein_5125.cfm

Old May 31st, 2020, 17:01
NAXJA Member

Nope. That’s the exact chart I’m looking at. 5100s are vehicle specific and thus valved specifically for Xjs where the 5125s are universal/ custom. Was going through 5100 XJ shocks and seeing more lengths then the 5125s in that chart.

That said, do you know what the difference between the top and bottom is? Why aren’t they all in one? .

Long story short I’m wanting to find something with about 16”s compressed and over 27”s extended. Probably not gonna happen. ~10”s of travel looks to be all she wrote.