• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulls to the left while braking?

MattXJ7

NAXJA Forum User
i just got new pads and rotors intalled up front about 4 days ago, and now when i hit the brakes (pretty hard) it pulls to the left. it wont pull under normal braking, but if i have to stop short, i deff. need to countersteer..

could this be an error from the new brake pad/rotor installation?
or from the fact that my car is dog tracking, and in need of alignment?

thanks,

-Matt

Mine pulls to the left also under heavy braking. Like yours, moderate braking doesn't make it pull much and under light braking it is hardly noticeable. Heavy braking causes a violent pull to the left and some serious countersteering is required. Mine has become progressively worse since I did the brakes about 4000 miles ago. At first it was hardly noticeable and has escalated to needing some attention. My theory is that the new pads are hanging up on the little "divots" that form on the rails that the pad rides on. My rails (for lack of the proper term...) were pitted and had little recesses dug in to them from the previously worn out pads. I wasn't sure it was an issue so I just slapped on the new pads and went on my way.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, just let you know that you aren't the only one with the problem. I haven't really researched this yet so I am anxiously waiting to see what others say that are more knowledgeable with previous experiences concerning this.

Anyone have any ideas:D

You guys have a caliper that is either stuck or not working at all. typically the vehicle pulls to the side that works.. Have your brakes rechecked and make sure you look at the calipers..

My calipers WERE pretty scabby with rust...I have a D30 sitting in my garage that is getting new EVERYTHING so now the pressure is on to get my current pile called an axle OUT of the XJ. Good luck Matt...

Make sure you lube and free up the slide pins too. My buddy did my driver's side and I half-***ed my pass side...

needless to say it pulls to the left now lol

Back