• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project: Craigslist Budget Build

shhuskins

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone.
I have been a long time NAXJA lurker with only a few posts. As I am nearing completion of my 96 I thought I might as well start a build thread. It all started back in december I found a cherokee on CL for 500 dollars the man said it didn't run but only had a few minor problems. I hook up the the trailer and drive an hour and a half to find a 96 cherokee 4.0 231 8.25 body in fairly good condition other than the SH** white paint job on it. Pop the hood and lost my breathe at the overwhelming amount of darn wires running to the battery. It looked like there was everything from phone line to coax cables. After I calmed down from that I pulled the dipstick to discover the absolute creamiest oil water nasty filthy gunk a had ever seen. I still tried to talk myself into maybe it's just a headgasket. All in all it was in fair condition for have 200K plus miles on it. There was even a set of TeraFlex Rovolvers in the back the owner didn't even know what were :yap: I chewed him down to $300 thought I couldn't go wrong winched it onto the trailer and headed home. I got the motor apart and the head off and all my high hopes hit the dirt. #5 piston had a little collison with an exhaust valve throwing the connecting rod straight thru the block creating a hole I could stick my fist through. I was broke and where I lived I had no storage no place to tear it further apart no nothing so It sat there for awhile. A good friend of mine moved into a house fully equipped with a large workshop and said sure I could bring it over. I rapidly started searching the net for a donor motor and found a 95 4.0 ( CL of course) for $150 guy said it had 140K on it ran great when pulled. I got it apart all looked well continued to do a good rebuild on it doing as much time and income would allow me to. About a month and a half later I finally have it all sealed up bought a cherry picker for a hundred bucks out with the old and in with the new. . well kinda as of yesterday it is at least bolted to transmission and new brown dog motor mounts on it. During this process a also picked up a set of BFG M/T's 33x10.50 on black XJ steelies 1/4 tread all worn even some fender rub on one nothing major $100 ( CL of course lol). Also while working on motor started to rip interior carpet headliner out floor pans looked teriffic no rust. they are bare metal for now but I think I have finally decided to go with Raptor Liner. Two days ago I also became the proud owner of a NIB Rough Country 4.5 in lift with AAL's for $300 ( CL!!) The extent of the damage would be one coil is nicked from rubbing the other during transport, I'm thrilled with this find. That about gets everything up to date I will try and post some pictures soon. On a side note this fourum ROCKS!

Re: Project: Craigslist Budjet Build

0227010831-1.jpg

0227010832.jpg

Out with the old in with new. It gives me an overwhelming feeling of success just seeing it sitting there after a year and I have yet to see if it runs.

image1-1.jpg

I'm still waiting to get my Manifold sandblasted so I can prime it paint it and wrap and hopefully keep the heat down enough where it won't do the infamous 4.0 crack again. I hope to have it running and lifted within 2 weeks but who knows. Enjoy.

Another reason the header cracks is from the engine movement/vibrations, if you want to get rid of the problem invest in some better motor mounts.

Yes I installed the brown dog poly mounts they seemed to be very reputable. I hadn't thought of a piece of flex pipe I may give that a try. In the semi near future I'll be picking up a header anyway most likely the Rugged Ridge $200 deal. I'm headed there today after work so hopefully more updates and pictures coming soon.

Got the front part of the lift put on minus the brake line extensions. everything went smooth. As this was my fiirst experience with any sort of lift for some reason I thought you had to completely remove leafs to install AAL's:mad:. So do to that my drivers side front spring bolt was all jacked outta gear and the bolt was rusted to the bushing sleeve and the threads on the perma nut were buggered so had to cut the bolt out and hopefully I can chase the threads with a tap and all will be well. . hopefully. The front looks awseome though, very excited about it. Owell it's giving me a good reason to get back to the motor. Got a few more things painted the alternator in and a few things plumbed and wired. Hopefully tomorrow i can get the intake and exhaust back on and all the goodies that go along with them.

Why did you paint the fan and pullies? and why did you paint them white and what is with the green? You also painted the intake and exhaust ports NOT GOOD.

It's just a beater trail rig I figured a clown engine bay would look ok. The ports just have some light overspray just have not got around to scraping it clean.

SHE LIVES!!!! Finally got the motor back together and after fooling with the darn timing for about an hour and a half and with the help of a little starter fluid she fired up! Engine sounded good it amazed me no ticks pops knocks bangs it idled smooth once we kept it running for about thirty seconds. I'm as excited as a banjo. Quick question. We hit the starter I'd say a total of 25 times trying to get the timing right and what not, It alwayse engaged fine. I let it idle and re started it probably 3 times in about five minute intervals then i let it idle for probably 15-20 minutes and heat up and burn everything out and quit smoking then i turned it off and went to start it again and nothing. starter didn't click nothing. lights worked and door buzzed the battery was fine. Any ideas? It was late and dark so I didn't fool with it to much and i'm not too worried just curious if anybody has any input. Thanks A bunch. Hoping to fix the buggered up threads on unibody perma nut for leafspring this weak so I can put it all back together and test drive it around the yard :clap:

Why did you paint the fan and pullies? and why did you paint them white and what is with the green?
Why do you care? If he wants to paint it rainbow even, that's his prerogative...;)
SHE LIVES!!!! Finally got the motor back together and after fooling with the darn timing for about an hour and a half and with the help of a little starter fluid she fired up! Engine sounded good it amazed me no ticks pops knocks bangs it idled smooth once we kept it running for about thirty seconds. I'm as excited as a banjo. Quick question. We hit the starter I'd say a total of 25 times trying to get the timing right and what not, It alwayse engaged fine. I let it idle and re started it probably 3 times in about five minute intervals then i let it idle for probably 15-20 minutes and heat up and burn everything out and quit smoking then i turned it off and went to start it again and nothing. starter didn't click nothing. lights worked and door buzzed the battery was fine. Any ideas? It was late and dark so I didn't fool with it to much and i'm not too worried just curious if anybody has any input. Thanks A bunch. Hoping to fix the buggered up threads on unibody perma nut for leafspring this weak so I can put it all back together and test drive it around the yard :clap:
Solenoid? Can you touch the two terminals with a screw driver and get it to go?

nice, my stroker is painted race hemi orange

Why did you paint the fan and pullies? and why did you paint them white and what is with the green? You also painted the intake and exhaust ports NOT GOOD.

What's the problem? That's what all the engines in the text books look like...... He should probably paint the internal parts too.......:D

01-dakota-engine-diagram.jpg

gasenclr_320x285.jpg

What's the problem? That's what all the engines in the text books look like...... He should probably paint the internal parts too.......:D

You mean I forgot to post the pictures of my racing striped pistons and my hot pink lifters?! Damn lol.

I believe the starting issue was a starter relay. i pulled it out the terminals were pretty corroded I cleaned the good and now I can't get it to not start again, Owell.
Got A few little odds and ends done got the header panel back on for the first time in a year ( I had forgottten what she looked like with A nose) and pulled the light switch for the first time and was shocked to discover every light but the drivers side corner came on. Too dark to take a picture last night but it's all finally starting to come along good. My tap for my leaf bolt is supposed to be in in the morning so I have high hopes of it sitting on it's own before I'm done tomorrow. Hopefully pics on the way!

Why do you care? If he wants to paint it rainbow even, that's his prerogative...;)

I dont I gues I am just anal at least that's what my wife tells me.

Well I drove it yesterday :) due to a leaking wheel cylinder I have zero brakes but by god I used the Ebrake and drive it around the yard and did A few poser flexes. Camera Is broke and phone is acting up so hopefully pictures soon.

Jeep.jpg

Well my camera is dead, charger is MIA, POS cell phone is acting up so this is the only picture I managed to sqeeze onto the internet. At least you can see the progress :) My rear brakes are F'ed up to say the least and its a 27 spline so instead of putting money into an axle I know I'm going to replace before to long and just going to find a 29. My friends brother has one with decent brakes he said he's sell it for $150. I need you input on this as I thought that was sort of steep. I was thinking more along the lines of a hundred bucks but you tell me. Also with the 4.5in lift and no TCase drop what degree shims would you pro's suggest? I regret to say I just the other day discovered PORC for the first time I didn't realize you could get a SYE for that little. As soon as I can I will be ordering one alond with extended bake lines and shims. JCR will also be getting A heafty sum from me ASAP for one of their gorgeous PreRunners. Also to come will be some layers of raptor liner for the floor ceiling and rockers and fenders, along with some fender trimming. I think I may try to get away with just doing the normal trim to where there is still a little lip on the fenders, what is the best way to do that? I have a long way to go but oh my gosh it's refreshing to just step back and look at it now compared to stock:woohoo:

What would I have to change to put either A 8.8 or a ford 9in in it? There is a 77 ford 9 on craigs for 100 bucks what else would I have to swap to make it work? I have searched some with not much success. Thanks.

Back