• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering gearbox seal replacement

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
A couple of questions about a leaking PS gearbox on an 89 XJ. The leak is coming from the top, where the steering shaft and u-joint attach. Thanks in advance.

- Is the seal replaceable easily?

- Can it be done in-car?

- Anyone have the part number (AZ doesn't)?

- If I get a whole new gearbox ($140 at AZ!!!) does it need to be adjusted (pre-load, etc) or is it ready to go?

Running pure stop-leak doesn't stop it any more... So, I need to do something. Leaks to a small puddle overnight or when parked. Little dribble, but a messy drive and a quart per month so far and increasing.

Thanks,
Skip

Hasn't ANYONE tried this or know someone who did? I was thinking, is it something that could come loose and need to be tightened (the seal area - it's not the hoses though)? I'm getting the idea it isn't a common problem, but any ideas??

Thanks,
Skip

I'll give it a shot. If it's leaking that bad (like mine is) most likely, repacing the seal won't do it. Usually you have more problems than that. IOW something made the seal go bad. Check the shaft for bearing slop.

Well, I got around to checking, and although it isn't excessive, it does have a bit 'o runout. Probably not enough to bother a fresh pliable seal, but an original dried and stiff one, probably cracked it.

Thanks for the hint.

Skip

Setting the preload on the input shaft, is kind of a touchy operation. I´ve done it with the help of an older Chiltons, with a good components section. Don´t think it´s possible (maybe but not likely) to do it in the vehicle. The biggest problem I had, was getting everything apart, rerquired a lot of Break Free and a BFH. The lock nut for the preload ring was really on there. The last two, I took apart had worn balls (some were flat on one side) and the sector shaft was pretty worn. Decided a rebuild was a better option.
I rebuilt one and overtightened something, when the box got hot (after a couple of miles) and the tolernaces got way too tight, the box almost completely locked down on me and I almost kissed a retaining wall. Kind of damaged my confidence a bit.

the core cost on a steering box is the expensive part - a buddy and i replaced his box in a YJ for something like 150 (250-100 core)

so - take that into account...

I have a used one out of a 94 works perfect yours for $60 plus shipping. I took it out of a running jeep that was totalled (rear end hit) and found that I didn't need it as the ujoints on the shaft were bound up and just needed a bit of lubrication. It has the Pitman arm on it and will fit your jeep fine. if you have bigger tires I'll even do the west texas offroad mod for you before I send it.

Back