• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build thread White '99

Jeepedo129

NAXJA Forum User
So this is my second rig but this is my first build thread. I know the direction I want to go with this rig, but I'm currently going to school to become an aircraft mechanic so I'm limited with time and money which means this thread might be a little slow at first.

For starters, my Jeep is a white '99 sport that I've owned for not quite a year. It's a clean rig that's nearly stock other than a cheap a$& block lift. I'm planning on starting from the ground up.

First thing I've decided to put on the jeep, after hours of research and reading thread after thread, is frame stiffeners, specifically H.D. Offroad's front stiffener and rail stiffeners. They are a ten gauge plate and already have the weld holes drilled which will save tons of time.:thumbup: they are on order and I am anxiously waiting for them to show up. I'll post pics of the install.

In the meantime, I have done two small upgrades to the jeep just for cheap.
:D

I've seen several people on here post installs of these and mine was super easy install for cheap:D cheap as in 7$ :thumbup:

Gentex auto dimming mirror with temp and compass.

Snagged this out of a 98 Chevy Tahoe with the temp sensor from PNP for a wopping 5$!

The thread I followed was from jeepforum and zachjf did an awesome job showing how to do it. Anyone with basic wiring ability should be able to do this install with ease.

Here's the thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/compass-temp-auto-dim-mirror-swap-detailed-lots-o-pics-952705/

The only thing you need to make this work is the mirror, temp sensor, and the plugs that match the mirror and sensor. I grabbed two sensors just in case:D
The stock mirror is on the left Gentex mirror on the right

This is the plug for the sensor.

This is the 7 pin plug for the mirror.

Next just make a harness from a ground a switched power( I did mine to the cig lighter) and two wires from the sensor to the mirror.

Mount the sensor somewhere out of the elements and away from engine heat.( mines in the bumper on the divers side.) Run your wires and you're done. Now you will never get lost again........ :laugh2:

Next upgrade was to the headlights. As most of you know the xj's sealed lights are horrible, especially mine. They are dim and full of condensation, so I decided to upgrade. I set out lookin at Delta's H4 upgrade but I ultimately decided to go with Hella's H4 vision plus, to save a few bucks. :D

Hella's design is the euro style reflector same as Delta. I pick them up from 4wheel parts for roughly 52$ a piece, plus they come with a cheap set of H4 bulbs so I can wait to upgrade to Xenon bulbs later. On top of buying the lights, I'm lookin to pick up the HD wiring harness to squeeze a little more light out of my bulbs. But until then I'm just pluggin and playin.

It's pretty simple to change out the lights on an xj. I did it on my lunch break with time to spare.

Take off the headlight trim with the two Philips screws at the top and then lift out.

After you have the trim out there is the chrome retaining trim that holds the light to the light housing, take the 4 screws out of that and the headlight should fall out.

Next unplug the harness from the back of the light by squeezing the two clips on either side and pulling.

As you can see, my Wagners were begging to be replaced

Plug in the new light and reverse what you did to put the light back in it rightful place. :thumbup:

So far I'm happy with how they look, but the real test will be my drive home tonight. My last lights weren't adjusted very well, at least i think, they might of just looked like that because of how horrible they were, so ill be doing that tonight.:D

With the lights upgraded you should consider a harness "upgrade" as well to really compliment the the headlight upgrade.

^ in the works. I'm debating on wether or not I should make it myself, or buy a kit. Either way, I've heard great things about upgrading the harness.

^ in the works. I'm debating on wether or not I should make it myself, or buy a kit. Either way, I've heard great things about upgrading the harness.

I also like the DIY projects but when it came to the wire harness I just went ahead and bought the Putco harness from Amazon (since I have Prime). Installed the harness and then bought Sylvania X-travision headlights and I am very pleased with the results.

It was very easy to install and works well.

The Putco you say eh, I'll have to look into that. The ones ive seen are about 35$ so it sounds worth it just to buy it.

So the time has finally come to o my frame stiffeners. as I mentioned before, I'm using the HD off road front stiffener and the rail stiffener. My suggestion with these is to have plenty of time to do it because the front stiffeners require to remove suspension components. I gave myself the long weekend over memorial day just in case.

So let's begin.:wave:

I have a little shop in the back yard and decided to pull the jeep in the shop to be out of the sun all day. i started around 11am and still didn't have it finished before I went to bed last night around 11ish.

I started by pulling the front bumper off which is pretty easy, three 15mm bolt either side and four 8mm bolt holding the bumper caps. before you pull the bumper, make sure that you disconnect you're vacuum canister which is on the inside of the bumper on the passenger side.

Next I pulled the track bar off the frame and removed the wheel well liner.

Next on the list are the shock, coil and the brake caliper. I tied the caliper up in the fender so I wouldn't have to bleed my brakes. Basically, you want to remove anything that could get in your way on the frame rail. You will need as much room as possible.

There is a triangular bracket on the front that needs to be removed, there are 3 10mm bolts facing forward, and one facing the engine, down by the bottom corner of the radiator. Most likely the one by the radiator is going to break.

Now you are ready to start the fitment of the stiffeners. The stiffeners ship welded together so you need to grind off the tack welds. For this part you will need as many C-clamps as possible, I had 7, and still wish I would have had more. The frame is curved and has three bends in it which you need to form the straight stiffener to by using C-clamps.

The fitment of the HD stiffeners is a little tricky. the holes for everything dont quite line up so take you're time. most important holes are the three holes for the bumper, and on the drivers side the three holes for the steering gear box. The access hole for the upper control arm bolt is going to be off something like 1/8" or so, even with this you should be able to access the bolt.

There is a slight stick out on the back end by the lower control arm, I going to grind it down once it is all welded.

Once you have the stiffener where you want it, mark the rosette holes and around the perimeter, then remove the stiffener.

Grind off the paint where the holes are marked and around where the stiffener will be. I used a 36 grit flap wheel which removed the paint and primer very quickly. You will also need to grind the protective coating off of the stiffener where you are welding to get a good clean weld.:D

I painted the back side of the stiffener with self etching primer to help with the rust. I painted the first stiffener, then went and fitted the other, by the time I was done with the second, the first was dry and ready to be put on.

Now clamp back on the stiffener, make sure that you get it and close to the frame as possible. This is where the tons of clamps come in handy.

Once that is done start welding. I did tack welds through out, then removed the clamps. then did about 2 minute welds back and forth to spread the heat. then let it cool till I could touch the welds.

I did the same for the rosette welds, back and forth, then let cool. once they were all welded, I got my flapper wheel out again and started grinding, lots and lots of grinding.

I primed with self etching primer then painted with some flat black. Sorry some of the picture are a little fuzzy.

3fedd5df945faa2285cdc976d1a0076a_zps678bca8c.jpg
[/URL

I started replacing suspension parts, but I've ran into a small problem, the track bar mount doesn't line up with is bolt holes due to the 10 ga steel plate in between it and the frame. I'll keep you posted on what I find. I do like how they turned out. If I were to do it again I would spray everything with PB blaster before. Especially the steering gear box. I broke one of the bolt in the box and I'm having a hell of a time getting it back out.:doh: Other than that this project went pretty smooth. I'm aiming to do the rail stiffeners tomorrow, hopefully.

Well done, Brandon. Looks good. Note that it's been my experience that a semi-gloss or gloss finish cleans up easier than flat....sheds mud and crud better too. I've been using gloss black Rustoleum on the undercarriage for several years with good results, only downside is that it will wrinkle if you recoat before it's fully cured.

Thanks Jeff. I hadn't thought about that so I guess we'll have to see. Probably will have to recoat .
I just got the rail stiffeners done yesterday and I'm very sore from grinding. Those HD stiffeners have too many rosette holes. Probably around 40 or so per side. But I can tell a difference in the ride, not as many rattles.

If I were to do it over again, I wouldn't grind the rosette welds smooth. Glad you're already noticing the improved ridgidity that the stiffeners provide.

So I guess I should update my thread. I've been drivin the jeep for a couple weeks, and my jeep feels brand new. No unibody echoes and dash board squeaks. The only issue I have is with the track bar mount. As I said above the 10ga steel between the frame and the mount have made the bolts not line up. My solution for now is I used a plasma cutter and oblonged the holes then put a washer on the bolts. Since I still have the stock track bar that isn't adjustable, my steering wheel is cockeyed. :doh:So the next on my list is an adjustable track bar.

Also, don't know if this is a track bar issue or the frame stiffener, but my drivers side coil is rubbing on the track bar mount when the suspension travels:mad:. Stay tuned.....

184a9aa3d65fb38eb7e8bafd327d0909_zps994be305.jpg

I just removed paint where the rosettes were and around the perimeter of the stiffener. My thinking was the more paint I left on, the less likely rust will form under the stiffeners. I also painted the back side of the stiffener with self etching primer.

Alright time for some updates.
This week I got a good deal on a stock gas tank skid so that will be installed hopefully here in a day or so. Also, in preparation for the Providence Canyon run on the 27th I'm lookin at buyin a lockeright for the front.
But today's project is.......

Turn this 10ft piece of .120 wall 2x3 into my new rockslides. :D
This is my progress so far.

I've cut two pieces 5ft long with a 45* cut on either end. I'm going to cap the ends and start designing the arms. I haven't decided if I should weld them on or bolt them on.

More to come.....

Back