• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School me on the 8.8 swap

cause those appear to be even harder to find than an 8.8.

heck, i can't even find a D35 with the right ratio locally now.

If I find a rig with a LS 8.25 in it I will have a 29 spline for sale. I am getting my wrecked rig back and parting it out. Gotta come get it though!

I can't believe you can't find an 8.25 with 3.55s man, that should be available at almost any you-pull-it that has a Cherokee. What area of Kentucky? I see them in Utica, Bowling Green, Springfield TN, Irvington, and a few others, though I just guessed at your location and threw in 42326, which is probably hundreds of miles away.

i am in independence, about 20 miles south of cincinnati Ohio. 41051 Zip

u pull it has one, but wants $200 and i have to take it out, not a big deal, but i was hoping for the other one to come through.

i may just say screw it, got 9"/44 full width. i can pick up a set of those for $300 for both axles.

according to car-part.com the JY my buddy works at SHOULD have 1 8.25. and they still have the 8.8 listed wrong on the site as well.

i will give him a call tomorrow and ask about the 8.25, it is available for only $100 as well.

i am in independence, about 20 miles south of cincinnati Ohio. 41051 Zip

u pull it has one, but wants $200 and i have to take it out, not a big deal, but i was hoping for the other one to come through.

i may just say screw it, got 9"/44 full width. i can pick up a set of those for $300 for both axles.

You may try the pic a part in Indy if you feel like driving a little ways.

I just completed my swap, and I had help from Stewie who posted earlier and Kraker from the AZ chapter...

This is what I know. The 8.8 is a great swap, many dont like it cuz its a c-clip, but that doesnt matter. You will not loose axles due to it being disc brakes. It is a 31 spline, avoid the Ranger, Aerostar, and Mustang those are 29 spline and are drums so they suck! Many people invest money in C-clip elimnators but that is a waste of money. That is made for drag racing and it wont add any benefit to us; reason if you are ever off camber or in an akward position, the weight of the vehclie could still snap that clip.

Perches: yes you need to replace them. I would visit a trailer shop and look for 3.25" perches as thats the size of the tube. Shock mounts.. well you can go aftermaket if you want, but I just used DANA 35 and just cut them down and welded it to the tube. (thanks to Stewie) it actually allows more height and more droop. I used a Dakota 4x4 long soft line, and plan to use a 05 KJ e brake cable.

Spring plate: when you hit the yard, and take your 8.8 just go a ahead and grab the u bolts and plate too. It will have to be flipped and you will have to cut off the stock exploder shouck muont.. its just a 3 inch tab sticking out. The sport is a two door and has only 1 leaf spring and the redular four door has a full pack. You might want to get some spacers as the the 8.8 is .5 an inch shorter on each side ( I think, but I do know its shorter) also weld the tubes to the pumpkin, I heard they can spin right off. Also, I recomend to shave the bottom of the pumpkin, cuz that monster is BIG!!!! Ha thats what my girl said :peace:

Last edited:
I am interested in the 8.8 swap too...but i have ABS. Can anyone advise me how to go about this? Is this the wrong axle for my application?

I was told by Stewie you can use it with ABS. For instance, on mine the plug was just cut off. Maybe he can input if he reads this.

I just completed my swap, and I had help from Stewie who posted earlier and Kraker from the AZ chapter...

This is what I know. The 8.8 is a great swap, many dont like it cuz its a c-clip, but that doesnt matter. You will not loose axles due to it being disc brakes. It is a 31 spline, avoid the Ranger, Aerostar, and Mustang those are 29 spline and are drums so they suck! Many people invest money in C-clip elimnators but that is a waste of money. That is made for drag racing and it wont add any benefit to us; reason if you are ever off camber or in an akward position, the weight of the vehclie could still snap that clip.

Perches: yes you need to replace them. I would visit a trailer shop and look for 3.25" perches as thats the size of the tube. Shock mounts.. well you can go aftermaket if you want, but I just used DANA 35 and just cut them down and welded it to the tube. (thanks to Stewie) it actually allows more height and more droop. I used a Dakota 4x4 long soft line, and plan to use a 05 KJ e brake cable.

Spring plate: when you hit the yard, and take your 8.8 just go a ahead and grab the u bolts and plate too. It will have to be flipped and you will have to cut off the stock exploder shouck muont.. its just a 3 inch tab sticking out. The sport is a two door and has only 1 leaf spring and the redular four door has a full pack. You might want to get some spacers as the the 8.8 is .5 an inch shorter on each side ( I think, but I do know its shorter) also weld the tubes to the pumpkin, I heard they can spin right off. Also, I recomend to shave the bottom of the pumpkin, cuz that monster is BIG!!!! Ha thats what my girl said :peace:

no way i am ever gonna re use u bolts., so JY bolts are a huge no-no.

.5" on ether side is not a big deal at all.

gonna call about a 8.25 tomorrow locally since an 8.8 can't be found

What youre saying is right if the ubolts are twisted, thread is stripped or just not in good shape, but if the FACTORY stuff works and its just there to hold the spings you will be OK.

But its all your choice, a rig should be build to your own liking

What youre saying is right if the ubolts are twisted, thread is stripped or just not in good shape, but if the FACTORY stuff works and its just there to hold the spings you will be OK.

But its all your choice, a rig should be build to your own liking
You know how you have to torque the U-bolt nuts down again after a few hundred miles? That's because the U-bolts stretch a little. I will never, ever reuse a U-bolt unless it's before the retorque mileage and I'm just doing something like adding shims.

You know how you have to torque the U-bolt nuts down again after a few hundred miles? That's because the U-bolts stretch a little. I will never, ever reuse a U-bolt unless it's before the retorque mileage and I'm just doing something like adding shims.

X2. u bolts do stretch, so they should be replaced anytime they are removed. even if they are before re-torque milage, i would be iffy about re-using them

2 degrees? LOL. I set my angle at 12 1/2.
What lift do you have? I am going to do the swap soon and have a lot of questions.
I have a 4.5" lift and heard around 13 degrees is a good angle.
What t-case do you have and do you have a stock drive shaft?
Did your shocks work when you made the swap? (assuming you got a kit with high clearance shock mounts)
What brake lines did you use? (both handbrake and regular)
I am sure I have more questions...... anything you could answer would be appreciated.

holy old thread...

anyway. your swapping in an axle, so there is no need for shims. and taking a number off the internet and running with it is bad practice.

when i did my 9" i clamped the axle to the springs/mounts, centered it, and put the weight of the jeep on it. then you just adjust pinion angle and recheck that it is centered. tack the mounts, pull the axle, burn it home. an angle finder is less than $5. go get one and know for certain. put the pinion angle a couple degrees below parallel to account for axle wrap. its really that easy.

good stuff

Back