NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 14:19
NAXJA Forum User

Re: XJ Buildup III

I LOVE those Moabs on your Jeep.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 22:24
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosephus
Did you take it to Moab?
Of course, worked very well too.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 22:30
NAXJA Member # 13

LCA Frame mount trimmed, welded and primed. I left the inner brace intact and decided to just clamp the gap tight and weld the seam to retain the strength that it provides, some folks chop these off. You need to trim it tight or the weld will rub on the lower arm during articulation.

Modified trackbar bracket with tabs for mounting brace/under engine crossmember (under construction)

Kind of an odd angle......but I didn't get a good shot of my diff cover armor before I installed it.

Last edited by XJEEPER; October 23rd, 2007 at 22:39.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 22:45
NAXJA Member #1311

Looking good.......but you need to load up the rest of ur photobucket pics of it all installed

..................unless if thats what ur doing now
Old October 24th, 2007, 21:12
NAXJA Member # 13

Here's the front axle installed. I swapped out the poly bushing on the axle end of the trackbar for a heim, as there seemed to be too much play in it. Solved the problem. Everything works well together.

With 3 days left before Fall Fling, I started my front bumper. I planned on fabbing it to accept a winch that ideally would be recessed below the bumper and recessed into the front crossmember, which I will rework/strengthen. Time didn't allow for this, so I wound up with this.

Main tube is 1.75" DOM, hoop is 1.50" DOM and the side braces are 1" EW. I already had the 1.5 hoop from another bumper project and decided to use it, even though it was smaller than the main. Turned out OK.

Lower braces installed

I was on a dead run on this and didn't get as many shots as I wanted....I finished de-slagging the welds and quickly threw on 2 coats of Krylon on Thursday afternoon. I finished packing the Jeep while the paint dried and bolted in on before we hit the road to Moab so I never even took time to snap any installed shots, so this one will have to do.

Since I didn't get my Viair compressor installed, my ARB's were open for this run. Hells Gate was unusually slippery from a morning storm and sand tracked up from below, so I wound up taking a tug after sliding off the wallI, which allowed me to test the bumper brace as a tow point......yah, I meant to do that

The rig worked well, but as with any newly built rig, needs some fine tuning. I still need to install bump inserts in the coils, add a center strap to tune the droop because with 12.5" travel shocks, there is articulation o' plenty. Gotta get the ARB's plumbed and then work on sliders and rear bumper armor.........you know, a rig is never really "done".

Stay tuned................

Last edited by XJEEPER; October 24th, 2007 at 21:22.
Old October 25th, 2007, 02:18
NAXJA Forum User

Still surprised after all that great effort that you did not do OTK on the passenger knuckle to reduce your drag link angle. This would reduce steering strain and effort and also allow you to have raised the trackbar on the axle end to reduce body sway.
Also see you still have to make up your swaybar mounts as well. How are you going to go about that?
Old October 25th, 2007, 02:50
NAXJA Forum User

Looks great nice job
Big Sal
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:24
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep
Still surprised after all that great effort that you did not do OTK on the passenger knuckle to reduce your drag link angle. This would reduce steering strain and effort and also allow you to have raised the trackbar on the axle end to reduce body sway.
Also see you still have to make up your swaybar mounts as well. How are you going to go about that?
Swaybar endlinks mounts are done, have to up load those shots still. As for the steering, the Currie setup has plenty of clearance on the pass side, but I would like to move it OTK. Problem with this is that Currie didn't engineer an adjustable TRE end on the knuckle end, so flipping their setup is out the question.......unless someone were to rework the end to support an adjustable, replaceable TRE. I might be that someone.........but I haven't ruled out WJ steering either.
Old October 25th, 2007, 17:02
NAXJA Forum User

Do I spot some harbor freight welding magnets?!
Old October 25th, 2007, 20:42
NAXJA Member # 13

Here you go Marcus........Swaybar link mounts

I'm going to add an antirock swaybar setup soon, so I slapped some cheapo fabbed links together.

Front shock mounts.....with real hardware

Here's a couple of closeups of the front bumper. I'll likely add some tow points and sell this, as I already have another design which accomodates a winch, floating round in my noggin.

Last edited by XJEEPER; October 25th, 2007 at 20:46.
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:51
NAXJA Forum User

They have come up well.
Old November 26th, 2007, 21:42
NAXJA Forum User

any updates?
Old November 26th, 2007, 22:00
NAXJA Forum User

gorgeous
Old November 26th, 2007, 22:38
NAXJA Forum User

THis is by far my favorite rig. MAN makes me wish i had your pat.... see i cant even finish writing. I really like how you kept the stock flares.
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:11
NAXJA Forum User

Love the shock mounts!! That's exactly what I need!! Are those stock LCA mounts??? I see you've got the JKS skids welded on and you cut off the stock shock mount and it looks like you may have just gusseted the stock LCA mount to support it and then welded a standard shock mount to the LCA mount, am I following?? Oh, I will be copying that. 12" shocks are a little long up front, and I don't want to rely on my bumpstops to keep me from killing my blisteins!