NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 2nd, 2018, 19:59
Mostly Harmless

Hardware for Attaching to Factory H.O. Era Roof Bars

I stumbled across some square U-bolts that worked especially well for this application and thought I should share the information for anyone else who may be looking to do something similar.

Tacoma Screw Products has P/N 158-101-1, described as "3/8" x 1-1/2" x 2" Square Bend U-Bolts Steel, Zinc"

Linky: http://www.tacomascrew.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5543/.f

These are a snug fit around the factory bars, almost so snug that I rejected them as a possibility until I test fit them in several different places on different bars. Whether the differences in the factory bars are the result of age/abuse or of loose factory tolerances I don't know, but I was able to get these onto the factory bars with a little finesse and persuasion (just by hand, no BFH required) in the tight places. In other places they went over the bars effortlessly.

The 1 1/2" dimension is the distance between the legs, and the 2" dimension is the length.

It was not until I was disassembling things that I remembered I wanted to take pictures, so these pictures show a state of nearly removed. The 2" length gave me enough thread to fit an SAE washer and Nylock nut over 3/4" plywood and have 1-2 threads above the nut.

Pics:

And:

Hopefully this will save someone else a hunt.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 16:44
NAXJA Member

Re: Hardware for Attaching to Factory H.O. Era Roof Bars

Nice, thanks for posting, I've been looking for a solution like that. I bought a set of U-shaped ones, but they don't work very well.

I resorted to drilling holes in the crossbars, but the bars aren't very strong to begin with so I don't like that option.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 19:35
Mostly Harmless

Re: Hardware for Attaching to Factory H.O. Era Roof Bars

I started with some U-shaped ones, but I could tell they weren't going to be what I needed, so I took the Jeep to the hardware store and they let me take pieces out to fit check them in the parking lot.