NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 28th, 2010, 10:40
NAXJA Member

Re: WJ Upper Control Arms on an XJ?

My opinion is that I'd do the WJ arms for a 2" BB or less. I don't think boxing the stock arms would be worth the work--it's certainly doable with a hand-held metal brake and some spot welds, but you can buy aftermarket arms that are much stronger for not much coin.
Old January 28th, 2010, 16:10
NAXJA Forum User

edit
Old January 28th, 2010, 16:12
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks ehall. That's what I was looking for, a more experienced opinion than my own.
Old January 31st, 2010, 23:12
NAXJA Forum User

Just installed the WJ upper and lower control arms with RE drop brackets. The bushing sleeves on the lower control arms had to be grinded down flush with the arm to fit without problems. I used a table grinder for this and minus the smell of burning bushing wasn't any trouble. I'm sitting on just 3 stock spring bushings and ZJ springs for 2" BB. RE drop brackets lower the control arms 3"s so my arms are pointing slightly upward for now. I have RE 3.5 springs waiting for some more time off to be installed. After driving on highway I must say that from the stock control arms w/poly bushings to the WJ rubber bushings highway is much quiter and smoother. Also the handling with the corrected caster and stronger arms was a great plus. I'd recommend it for anyone that has the parts or looking for a cheaper route than aftermarket arms.
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:18
NAXJA Forum User

So the uppers worked with no problems?
Old February 1st, 2010, 15:10
NAXJA Forum User

No problems so far with it. I have yet to flex it out on street corners and speed bumps but with the drop brackets I have no clearance issues other than what was necessary to make the longer bushing sleeves fit my application.

Actually the uppers were straight bolt on, no problems. It's the lowers that will fight you.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:48
BACON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdemise View Post
Actually the uppers were straight bolt on, no problems. It's the lowers that will fight you.

you didnt have to trim like the pics posted?
Old February 4th, 2010, 17:59
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988MJ View Post
Got em installed...

I've got to say this upgrade has made a significant improvement in the way the truck steers and handles on the road. The is no more play in the steering wheel before the steering reacts, it is instantaneous (original steering box). Just minute movements of the wheel and it reacts. The whole front end has firmed up significantly, in a good way. Cornering body lean is reduced even further. Awesome upgrade. :rock on: On to the Pics:

Here is a pic comparing the stock arm with the WJ arm, notice the WJ arm is fully boxed. The stock arms measures 15" eye to eye, the WJ arm measures about 14.9". This corrects my caster with my 2" lift over stock, rather than adding spacers to the LCA buckets.

Picture of drivers side upper control arm bucket.

Remove this small amount of sheet metal directly below the bucket. (Cut a mirror image off the passenger side, I used a dremel with reinforced quick connecting cutting wheel)

Size reference.

Thats it, then install the WJ arms. I used a pipe wrench with my jack to help line up the axle side bolts, but a come-along will work too. Do them one at a time.

More pics:

Full Droop, no problems.

:chillin:
Just out of curiousity, would this trimming be needed if these were to be done on a stock height rig?
Old February 4th, 2010, 18:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoehandley View Post
Just out of curiousity, would this trimming be needed if these were to be done on a stock height rig?
I came in here to ask just this question. I have a stock height MJ and I am getting ready to install the lower WJ arms the next weekend that I am not scheduled either Friday or Monday. If the uppers will fit with little or no trimming I'll scrounge a pair from the yard. First. Also, I did not see that anyone cut the bushings on the uppers, so I assume no trimming was needed there.

My MJ is stock height and staying there or lower for a while. But I am very interested in the increased handling, and I have been scouring clunkers at the yard in search of a 28mm swaybar and brackets.

edit: I do not see why the trimming would be necessary. It looks as though it were meant to keep it from hitting when the axle droops on a lifted rig. SO on a stock height truck, especially one that will not see any large amount of articulation, I would think that it would not be necessary. However I sit here anxiously awaiting a response from those who already tried it.
Old February 4th, 2010, 19:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpackjeeper View Post
I came in here to ask just this question. I have a stock height MJ and I am getting ready to install the lower WJ arms the next weekend that I am not scheduled either Friday or Monday. If the uppers will fit with little or no trimming I'll scrounge a pair from the yard. First. Also, I did not see that anyone cut the bushings on the uppers, so I assume no trimming was needed there.

My MJ is stock height and staying there or lower for a while. But I am very interested in the increased handling, and I have been scouring clunkers at the yard in search of a 28mm swaybar and brackets.
I have no plans on lifting or lowering my '98 Limited, but improving the handling even further beyond better shocks and wider tires would be nice, I've even contemplated getting the Addco swaybars depending on how much my tax refund ends up being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpackjeeper View Post
edit: I do not see why the trimming would be necessary. It looks as though it were meant to keep it from hitting when the axle droops on a lifted rig. SO on a stock height truck, especially one that will not see any large amount of articulation, I would think that it would not be necessary. However I sit here anxiously awaiting a response from those who already tried it.
That is exactly why I asked in the first place!
Old February 4th, 2010, 19:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoehandley View Post
That is exactly why I asked in the first place!
I know, and I think the angles would work out just fine on my MJ.
Old February 4th, 2010, 20:25
NAXJA Member

wolf you will have it all apart just try it

the bushings on the UCAs do not need any modification
Old February 4th, 2010, 20:29
NAXJA Forum User

nice, I flat traded my MJ shackles for some modified lowers a while back, so I just need some uppers to try.
Old February 7th, 2010, 19:53
NAXJA Forum User

Let me know then Wolf, I'm interested!
Old February 13th, 2010, 19:40
NAXJA Forum User

Fastdemise, how does it flex?