• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?? Wiring three prong switch into a relay circuit

Dozer11B

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have been rewiring my auc lights and adding a set to the back of the rack all weekend.

Almost all finished, but I have a question:

My switches are three prong LED switches- Ground, load/acc (out), 12v supply (in).

So what is the power source for the switch? Back to my aux fuse block?? If so, should I run all three switches seperate (which would not be enough spots left on 6 position fuse block) or can I splice the three of them together (using proper connections of course!)
Something like this:
Switch-Relay-Fogs.jpg

For the relay:

-I am running power through an aux fuse block (20amp fuses) to 30 (one wire from batt instead of a jumble of inline fuses).

-Lights are going to 87.

-Load/acc prong of switch goes to 85.

-and 86 is grounded

Think I have it figured out, but I wanna make sure. I have three trips to Autozone and quite a bit of money in wiring and all the doodads as well as a nice chunk of time in this project. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

You need to know how many amps each light draws. I would say if combined they draw under 15-16 amps then a single 20 amp fuse is fine. Without having athe relay and a meter in front of me, I would say it looks good. You may be able to combine the power to the switch and relay/light if the amps are low enough.

LEDs and relays don't draw much current. I have my fog and driving light switches/relays on one circuit, and the lights themselves are fused separately. So I have one fuse powering both switches and relays (2.5 or 5A?), and then a 10A fuse for each pair of lights (since they're only 55W). But, keep in mind that tying switches or relays together means that if one shorts, they all short.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Not sure on the amp draw Monster- waiting on a reply from the builder of the switch panel.

Hubs I am running 4 Hellas up front, 2 lights per relay and 20 amp fuse, then I am running a set of TJ factory bumper fogs on the back of my rack, again on it's own relay and 20 amp fuse. I also have a fuse going to dual 12v receptacles. This is the panel I am using:

http://www.prime4x4.com/shop/Switch...itch--Receptacle-Panel-sku-SP8496XJ-SB008.htm

When reading the switches from left to right, top to bottom switch #1 powers two lights up front, switch #2 powers the other two, switch #3 powers the rear/backup lights, and switch #6 powers 12v receptacles on and off. #4 and 5 are free for future accessories.

Go to ground the switch panel- all switch grounds are tied into each other including the 12v receptacles.

Looks like I will tie in the 12v in prong on my switch and run them to a fuse in my aux fuse box. Which size fuse should I run here?

Run all three switchs on one fuse. The only load is the power for LEDs and to trip 3 relays. Should be less than 5 amps.

x2

dozer, are you wiring the lights/plugs (& your aux fuse box) to operate with the ignition off?... if so, do like mike's stated... 5A fuse with 16-18 awg (gauge) from your fuse box to the switch panel... & 16 gauge to the relay

YOU should know the draw of your lights, not the switch panel maker... knowing the wattage of the lights, you divide that rating by 14 to get amps

example: 55w/14v = ~3.9 x 2 = ~8A... round up to nearest available fuse, 10A for 2x 55w bulbs, depending on the length of wire needed (longer distance = thicker wire), 14 gauge wire to the lights

Hey thanks for the help guys.

Running 14 ga to lights and 10 ga under hood.

I had to search for my lights online to find they are 55w. so 10a fuses it is.

Back