• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

APN Header fitment issues...

mhopton

NAXJA Forum User
Have read a lot of posts about the APN header requiring grinding to fit on the #1 pipe to mesh with the intake manifold properly. How many people here have had that problem? I've got a 99 XJ, 4x4. I don't want to tear into this project saturday just to find out I've got to go and buy a grinder because it didn't fit.

thanks...

I had minor issues- I used a Dremel on the intake, and a hammer and socket to deform the primary tube to clear in the intake. There is a writeup around here by Lloyd on doing just that.

Dremel or bastard file will do the trick.

I'll never forget my reaction in 8th grade metal shop when the teacher handed me a file and said "Here, try this bastard."

I really, really want to make a joke. Probably shouldn't. :gag:

What the heck: Are you sure he was talking about the file? :D

Couldn't help myself. :anon:

Yeah, that's where I got it too. 8th grade shop class

I have a 99 and had no problems with fitting the header. I did not have to grind. When you put it on just leave the bottom bolts in the block on loose otherwise you will have a heck of a time getting the second to back bolt started. Triple check to make sure the block dowls are in the holes on the header correctly as well.

The back bolts are the hardest but doable. There were only 2 that I was not able to get a torque wrench on. This is a good time to clean your TB and intake so have plenty of TB Cleaner.

Have fun!

I got this header from rockauto.com and had to do a little massaging with a ball peen hammer on the header and some file work on the 00' intake manifold that I installed with it. Fortunately I had the motor out while I did the work, I can't imagine how much of a pain in the ass this job would be with the motor in the heep.

You can sort of tell where I filed it down, I should have taken pics before I painted
MiscPics073.jpg

Ball peen work
MiscPics080.jpg

Looking straight in
MiscPics084.jpg

Header on
MiscPics089.jpg

Intake on
MiscPics100.jpg

Everything fit well after the banging and filling was done
MiscPics101.jpg

These must be impossible to reach with the motor in
MiscPics104.jpg

Hopefully this gives you a better idea of what you have to do to make it work, I had the my log style intake manifold on hand but I didn't check to see the fit so I can't tell you if you'll have to do the same with that one or not.

nice pics!

yes - i installed my banks header on my 99 with it on the heep - tough to get all bolts torqued properly... off the jeep? almost too easy haha!! anyways i am going with a APN style for my 97 - will report back later

i got the apn and a 99+ intake on my renix head. no fitment issues sept the intake flang is .060 thinner then my .520 thick header flang. just hona get some sheet metal and shim it up a bit to make it work better

Installing a 99+ intake and APN on dad's 98' I just dented the tube in a little and hit the intake with a file a couple of times to make sure it seated down well since it was tight. Only took a couple of minutes to do though.

Back