• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 High-flow Cat

Xjin85

NAXJA Forum User
Can you guys help me out and provide some links to an affordable high-flow catalytic converter that is CA Emissions that will go nicely with the 2.5 OD Flowmaster Super 44?

I have a 2001 jeep XJ and all the 2000-2001 XJ were CA Omissions[/COLOR] so it HAS TO BE CA COMPLIANT. Ideally, I'd like to find a high-flow cat that will really make it sound under $160

Thank you guys,
-Xjin

The 2001 (all I6 in US) have 3 cats. Downstream of the header are 2 pre-cats, a down pipe that turns towards the rear, and then 1 last cat before you get to the muffler and tailpipe.

The only free-flowing cats I know of are from Pacesetter (they only make the pre-cats) and Flowmaster. None of those are cheap. Having CA emissions brings the price up even further, unfortunately. I have a 50 state XJ, but live in WY, so I'll be using 49 state cats when I replace them soon.

Another issue I ran into is the down pipe that sits between the pre-cats and the rear cat. I've only found the one made by Walker that is crush bent and prone to rusting. Using a DAVICO 19092 solves that problem because it combines the pre-cats with the down pipe.

The 2001 (all I6 in US) have 3 cats. Downstream of the header are 2 pre-cats, a down pipe that turns towards the rear, and then 1 last cat before you get to the muffler and tailpipe.

The only free-flowing cats I know of are from Pacesetter (they only make the pre-cats) and Flowmaster. None of those are cheap. Having CA emissions brings the price up even further, unfortunately. I have a 50 state XJ, but live in WY, so I'll be using 49 state cats when I replace them soon.

Another issue I ran into is the down pipe that sits between the pre-cats and the rear cat. I've only found the one made by Walker that is crush bent and prone to rusting. Using a DAVICO 19092 solves that problem because it combines the pre-cats with the downpipe.

I found this Walker Cat that seems like a good option but doesn't say "high flow" I forget what constitutes a high flow vs non-high flow. But i know many guys don't believe in the high-flow hype.

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-16117-Certified-Catalytic-Converter/dp/B000EQNUES/ref=sr_1_4?crid=27NFZ0E6TKYRU&keywords=2001+jeep+cherokee+xj+catalytic+converter&qid=1674948795&replacementKeywords=xj+catalytic+converter&sprefix=2001+jeep+cherokee+xj+catalytic+converter%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-4&vehicle=2001-42-347------------&vehicleName=2001+Jeep+Cherokee

I also found this one which is a direct fit but not sure if it's "high-flow" and unsure of the manufacturer but the price is very appealing considering:

https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Auto-Parts-California-Catalytic/dp/B015WP19L6/ref=sr_1_13?crid=27NFZ0E6TKYRU&keywords=2001+jeep+cherokee+xj+catalytic+converter&qid=1674948795&replacementKeywords=xj+catalytic+converter&sprefix=2001+jeep+cherokee+xj+catalytic+converter%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-13&vehicle=2001-42-347------------&vehicleName=2001+Jeep+Cherokee#customerReviews

I keep finding cats that say they will fit but are universal. Do universal cats require welding and extra fabrication? I don't mind welding the cat if I have too as long as it has holes where I can install new o2 sensors for 02#1 and 02# 2 for bank 2. I want to make sure it doesn't run rich and clear the codes.

Another thing that is throwing me off is some cats say they are fully compatible and will fit a 2001 xj (CA Emissions) but then say "not for sale or be used in the state of CA/NY? What? for example:

https://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-2822225-Universal-Catalytic-Converter/dp/B0085UE1B6/ref=sr_1_11?crid=35GVT5KOG5HWH&keywords=2001+jeep+cherokee+xj+catalytic+converter+CA&qid=1674950142&replacementKeywords=xj+catalytic+converter+ca&sprefix=2001+jeep+cherokee+xj+catalytic+converter+ca%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-11&vehicle=2001-42-347------------&vehicleName=2001+Jeep+Cherokee

or

https://www.partsgeek.com/kfdsjxq-jeep-cherokee-catalytic-converter.html

Would this fit and be a good option

Here is a Magna flow I found that appartmenly fits and is only a few bucks more than the Walker:

https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-447205-Universal-Catalytic-Converter/dp/B007C800T4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=27NFZ0E6TKYRU&keywords=2001+jeep+cherokee+xj+catalytic+converter&qid=1674948795&replacementKeywords=xj+catalytic+converter&sprefix=2001+jeep+cherokee+xj+catalytic+converter%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-3&vehicle=2001-42-347------------&vehicleName=2001+Jeep+Cherokee

I think the Davico 19092 may be the best option if I can come up with the money by next Friday. This coupled with the new super 44+tail pipe It would be all new up to the manifold.

The code I am throwing is P0158 for Bank 2/Sensor 2 ...so I'd need to replace the rear pre-cat converter along with both 02 sensors. I am going with NGK/NTK senors #23110 (senor 1 upstram-Bank2) and #23099 (sensor 2 downstream-Bank2)

I also read some threads of guys installing universal cats on their 2000-2001 xj's that were EPA compliant. Is this something I should do? I think many only have 1 bung for 02 sensors and you need to insert you own second bung fo the other. If I do this will it be safe without the risk of getting false codes which in turn effect the mixture of fuel running rich?

I would suggest that a cylinder head that has better flow characteristics would be a greater performance improvement than high flow cats.

A good muffler shop can fabricate your exhaust with universal cats and install any necessary additional O2 bungs in the correct location.

A few states have smog inspections that require CARB certified cats to be replaced with CARB certified parts. If your state does have smog inspection and/or does not require CARB certified replacement cats, there is no logical reason to use them.

Last edited:
Back