• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hesco (Melling) High Volume Oil Pump

FusiliJerry

NAXJA Forum User
https://hesco.us/products/30811/oil...-volume-blue-printed-oil-pump-wscreen-m167hvs

What, may I ask, is a "blueprinted" oil pump? Do they buy a bunch and disassemble them and rematch the planetary gears by tightest clearance? Or is it just Hesco jacking up a price on a regular old part as they are one to do?

More curiously, their claim that a HV oil pump will fit in 2000+ oil pans without modification has me most interested. Is this true? Eventually I'm planning to do an in-vehicle refresh of the engine and had written off HV oil pumps cause I don't feel like beating the oil pan.

The std Melling can be blueprinted to keep similar performance to their high volume pump. I used a HIV pump that I ported when I built my stroker. The 4.0 pump does not lend itself to the max work that can be performed on some engines!

Not off-hand, it's kind of a specialty trade. I started about 50yrs ago!

I had to do clearancing on my 2000 with the Melling HV.

Here is the work I did on the pan, plus I ground on the pump also.
P1080721_zpshvw1pqco.jpg

P1080725_zpsnfvr3xhj.jpg

Have you seen any issues with excessive timing chain or distributor/cam gear wear with the high volume pump? What about oil starvation or is there enough drain back to keep the sump full? Thinking I might need a high volume due to bearing clearances on rebuild since the machine shop just polished the crank plus I was possibly going to use Crower cam saver lifters, maybe

I have not experienced such issues plus in 50yrs have I even heard of that type issue and I've built thousands of motors!

I've read anecdotal stories about the hv pump tearing up the cam gears and distributor drive in the 4.0. I have no experience in it myself. I have seen sbc/BBC suck stock pans dry but at higher rpms than the Jeep see's, but that's probably more to do with inadequate drainback holes in the heads/lifter valley. That's why I was asking. If my bearings mic out on the larger side I'll go high volume and blueprint it.

On that note, melling HV is no longer reputable in the sbc world due to casting changes/ weakening, is there any suck issue with the Jeep hv pump?

I haven't seen that either, the M-55HV is still in prodution?

Have you seen any issues with excessive timing chain or distributor/cam gear wear with the high volume pump? What about oil starvation or is there enough drain back to keep the sump full? Thinking I might need a high volume due to bearing clearances on rebuild since the machine shop just polished the crank plus I was possibly going to use Crower cam saver lifters, maybe

In your case if you know the bearing clearances you can easily adjust the oil viscosity but I would still recommend the HV pump. It have any concerns you could clean/dress the oil return passages in the head.

BTW, I also found the pick-up tube partially obstructed the pump inlet so I ground that portion back on the pick-up tube.
P1080711_zpsdl1djnzt.jpg

I had a Hesco pump installed in my last engine rebuild a couple years ago. This is in a 90 on 35's at 6k feet altitude. The engine is overbored, with an 11-1 compression ratio, HO heads, Mopar headers, bored T-body. It moves the beast. And it's really hard to get the beast hot. I did once in 4-lo, up hill at 8k feet without the auxiliary fan on. Normal driving it runs very, very cool with a cheap two row aluminum radiator. I rarely use the auxiliary fan in normal driving, only in 90+ days, and long stops. Moving, never. It works, all the rest I have no knowledge of.

Back