• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 4.0 build questions

cherokeefan_1

NAXJA Forum User
Back here with another Cherokee, except it's the girlfriends as mine was totaled by a semi that ran a red light and is now a parts rig. This may be a long post and not sure it belongs here or modified tech, mods may move as needed please.

I'm building a 4.0 for my girlfriends 2000 xj that I lifted from my totaled 91. Had the block bored, decked, etc... Trying to collect parts to finish, I will be assembling myself, I am a master level diesel tech so easy enough.

My first question is on cam, lifter, timing set selection. Was probably going to have the stock cam reground by a local cam grinder for a touch more duration or whatever they can do for a miniscule power bump, what should I be asking for spec wise?or should I just get a new stock Mopar cam, rock auto has one left. Bossted Technologies has 1.7 roller rockers to gain some power vs custom grind cam? Thoughts? Not necessarily a daily driver except in winter(snow), tows a small tent trailer, and weekend light trails. Also, it seems that the hylift Johnson lifters are no more? Any clue where to find good quality reliable lifters? Same with timing chain, seems only a link belt style is available?

I found a used tupy 0331 head to replace the 0331 that was leaking coolant, didn't appear cracked, coolant was coming from the big core plugs but being a non tupy I pulled one from the junkyard. Had the tupy magged and surfaced, valves vacuum tested. Was planning very light port work for a gasket match and polish Chambers and debur. Or, I could pull my 7120? Off my 91. Only problem here is mating to the 2000 factory cast manifold. This is federal emissions so doesn't have the 2 baby cats. Thoughts on this?

I'm sure more questions to come. Like the machine shop just polished the crank so I'm assuming oil clearances are going to be on the loose side, I will mic them when I start going back together, if they are loose, will it need a high volume pump? They also didn't replace rod bolts like I asked before resizing and balancing, so I'm stuck with used 230k rod bolts unless I pay for another resize/balance job, and the pistons are already hung, so... I was not too happy. The machinist didn't seem concerned because it's not a race engine which is their main customer, not budget 4.0. although I'm almost 1500 into just the machine shop side, so not budget

Everything your looking for in the best parts is readily available!

I used Schneider Cams for a regrind. I did read a post on the Stroker board of someone having vale float issues with a 2000 and a .450 lift cam. The 2000 valve springs are a few Lbs less than the 91-95 springs. I did a head back in 2004 or so, with stock springs and Chevy valves. Russ said to use after market springs and I purchased some from him. I think Sealed Power. The top ID was about .870, so good for Chevy SB retainers. The 4.0L retainers are .835. Melling would fit them.
I'd still check the price of Russ's kit.

Last edited:
Also, might check Crower cams. I remember 232 duration. Also, a bit more duration on the exhaust cam. I didn't see that he did regrinds, but might. Russ sells Johnson lifters. I did get a set from him. I do pick up some off of E-Bay, that are boxed in Federal Mogul boxes.
On the header, I did use one of the compact headers from JBA. It was a pain to install. I plan to use one of the Doug Thorley's I have.

On the timing set, I bought a single roller from Russ. I think he has double rollers for the 99-up. Also, check Titan. I think $130.

On the heads, any of the heads will fit. I did put a 730 head on a WJ block. Just have to align the head by sight. I an using the later head on a 99 block for my 2000. The 2000-up heads have very small exhaust ports. I would look at increasing their size. I would look at a 'D' port like on a Chevy LS 799 head. Also, possibly larger valves. Russ sells an LS valve kit. I have used the Chevy SB valves.

I'd think just a stock pressure oil pump. Your not spinning the motor that fast, and it would rob a bit of power.

Last edited:
Also, might check Crower cams. I remember 232 duration. I didn't see that he did regrinds, but might. Russ sells Johnson lifters. I did get a set from him. I do pick up some off of E-Bay, that are boxed in Federal Mogul boxes.
On the header, I did use one of the compact headers from JBA. It was a pain to install. I plan to use one of the Doug Thorley's I have.

On the 1.7 RR and even a higher lift cam, you will need to check for spring binding. Russ recommended going with aftermarket valve springs as their diameter is a bit smaller.

Back