• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Re: What was done to YOUR rig today?

Did you think I would have lied to you about that Flores? Sheesh!!! You REALLY do think I'm clueless don't you LOL!!!!

So, this weekend I looked at the XJ...then at the FSJ...then back at the XJ...I then sighed a lot and tried to figure out what to do with the things. Both need work, but at least the FSJ is street legal.

My daughter gets her driver's license next week, so the Porsche will become hers than and I'll be without anything to drive *whine*. This means that at least two of the Jeeps MUST leave. If someone would offer me $3,000 for all three (cash money of course) they could have them. Still not sure what I'm gonna do though.....Gawd I HATE being poor!

Why don't you try finding someone who has one reliable rig they are willing to trade for all three of yours?

Which jeep needs what kind of work?

I also took the doors off and put them back on. It my giant toolbox right now. Cant wait to go doorless around again.

How hard was it to take the doors off?
What tools did you use? Hammer? lol :read:

Taking the doors off can be accomplished several different ways. The easiest is to use a #40 torque bit and a 1/4" ratcheting box wrench and take the bolts out. From there cut the pin and replace it. OR...you can cut the bottom of the hinge off and lift the door up and off. There are many write-ups around for accomplishing this.

Which jeep needs what kind of work?

Just to get 'em on the road....

Well, the 77 Chero is missing its front end LOL! The front clip, radiator, and steering is MIA.

The 86 Chero needs the air injection pipes and valves. Now before all of you with 4.0's start scratching your heads, don't forget that I have a 2.8L V6 in mine with LOTS of vacuum lines and strange emission parts. After the air induction pipes get replaced, I STILL have to get it to pass inspect in my county (for it to be LEGAL). It also needs a track bar.

The 88 G. Wag needs the power steering fixed (it goes thru fluid faster than Flores AND Will go thru beer!). The tranny is starting to slip (hoping it's just a filter/fluid prob). The brakes need to be fixed (just new pads and shoes). The GDub is the most likely canidate for repairs in that it shouldn't cost more than $100 to get it back on the streets. Like so many of us right now, I don't have $100 to put into it. LOL!

That's the problem with trading three for one...that would mean that I'd still have to have the funds for registration, and I don't atm. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not truly whining about being broke, I'm just answering the questions asked. :)

I could always have my kid pissed at me and keep the 928 as my own..but a promise is a promise and Ehre über alle also comes into play here for me.

If Jennifer doesn't claim some of the parts that are lying around my place, I might start to sell those off though. :D

i just took my jeeps engine head to the machine shop so hopefully in will stop smoking on the trail.

Just to get 'em on the road....

Well, the 77 Chero is missing its front end LOL! The front clip, radiator, and steering is MIA.

The 86 Chero needs the air injection pipes and valves. Now before all of you with 4.0's start scratching your heads, don't forget that I have a 2.8L V6 in mine with LOTS of vacuum lines and strange emission parts. After the air induction pipes get replaced, I STILL have to get it to pass inspect in my county (for it to be LEGAL). It also needs a track bar.

The 88 G. Wag needs the power steering fixed (it goes thru fluid faster than Flores AND Will go thru beer!). The tranny is starting to slip (hoping it's just a filter/fluid prob). The brakes need to be fixed (just new pads and shoes). The GDub is the most likely canidate for repairs in that it shouldn't cost more than $100 to get it back on the streets. Like so many of us right now, I don't have $100 to put into it. LOL!

That's the problem with trading three for one...that would mean that I'd still have to have the funds for registration, and I don't atm. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not truly whining about being broke, I'm just answering the questions asked. :)

I could always have my kid pissed at me and keep the 928 as my own..but a promise is a promise and Ehre über alle also comes into play here for me.

If Jennifer doesn't claim some of the parts that are lying around my place, I might start to sell those off though. :D

Sounds like life is pretty rough right now..... hopefully things will begin to look up.

Sounds like life is pretty rough right now..... hopefully things will begin to look up.

Thanks man....yeah, things are pretty screwed up in my little world atm, but they'll work out....they ALWAYS do!! (one way or another hehe). :cheers:

I just need to get things stable once more and then begin rebuilding. If I could get a grand for the lifted '86 (would make a great trail rig or DD for someone in a non-emissions area) I know where there's a '88 with a 4.0 in pretty good shape with a small lift for $800 :D

You are a Paralegal..... find someone to sue! You would take a grand for your 86? What all is wrong with it again? Is it driveable at all?

Uh...yeah, legal problems and court battles is what got me where I am today.

I drove it from Gilmer to Denton. :)

Front drive shaft exploded leaving Barnwell Mountain. Track bar snapped shortly after. At the moment it has Flores' old, Southern engineered track bar on it (meaning we took the broken tie rod end that he had and used it to cut new threads in the Rusty's bar....they won't warranty it now btw LOL!). It won't pass emissions tests here due to missing parts. Oh, and the hood latch is broken, so the hood is currently being held down with a ratchet strap. Ummm...let's see, what else....the fenders were trimmed by drunk people, so they are UGLY...but I retained the stock flares to cover the damage once the hood is fixed. The TCase has a slight leak. I think those the the only "real" problems with it. Other than that....it's an '86 with a 2.8L v6, 207 TC, and AX5 transmission. Before the females of my world contributed to my financial down fall...hehe...I was going to either do a 3.4 or V8 conversion.

Went out and bought a new tow rig! Woot! I finally own something built in the current century. Went out and shined up the Wife's XJ so we can sell it. Came out pretty nice got most of the brush rash out of the paint. Gave it a fresh coat of wax. Probly the cleanest it's been since we bought it.

Put the FOR SALE sign on it. 98 Limited for $4500. Any takers?

Ian, if you seriously want to sell it for a grand I know someone who will buy it. I hate to see ya get rid of it though.

LOL...that's the problem, I don't WANT to sell anything! My fear is that if I buy the '88 it'll turn into yet another project...lift, wheels, 33's, etc. etc. etc. I'm not sure that I'd come out ahead in the long run. Not to mention that I know little to nothing about the '88 motors...UGH!

Let me think on it for a bit so that I'm not making an emotional decision. :)

I understand bro. If I were you I would weigh the decision heavily. The renix motors are super reliable as long as it was decently maintained. Sounds like you need to look for something with reliability as first priority. If you could sell the 86, and move over to that 88, and then manage to sell your FSJ's then you could put a little more cash into that 88, and hopefully have a very reliable, wheelable rig.

Or just dump the cash into the FSJ. :)

Another option I have (and hence my problem...too many options, not enough coin!) would this YJ that I've found.

The cool thing is that I live within walking distance to my office and there's a grocery store right around the corner from my house, so I won't be hurting.

a YJ? Seriously? But you know you would be lost if you didn't fit in with the XJ crowd anymore! LOL That is nice. I actually live about 10 blocks from my office so I can bike when its pretty out. No grocery store close enough though. I would love to find a nice clean FSJ myself, but I am trying to stay away from anymore gas guzzlers.

My FSJ doesn't get much worse gas mileage than most of the XJ's from what I hear. Now, granted, I tend to drive like an old woman and not waste gas.

After I take the parts off the '77 that I need, I'll be selling the rest of it for $300 :)

Back