• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guys I'll be real with you.

Great job grinding it out man. I give you props for tackling this yourself when you didn't have the know-how going into it. Sure, you've now dealt with the consequences a couple times, but nobody will ever be able to take this knowledge away from you.

Do you have a thread where your other gear setups were documented? I'd be curious to see patterns and hear specs of the setups you did prior that led to failure.

How did the 1st set fail? I don't remember seeing that.

That Yukon manual is neat, but BOY do some of those patterns in the "acceptable" category look awfully sub-ideal. Not that I've ever done gears or have any experience with what works and what doesn't... Just an armchair wrencher

This is the first set. Crossing fingers 2nd times a charm.
I to thought it was acceptable but I just bumped it slighter deeper looked to be running out the face. Getting ready to run a pattern at 7 this time.

I've been comparing to tge yukon installation guide.

I have pictures some where my build thread or could be in a random thread

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pattern #2
Might go deeper still

Now this is starting to look acceptable per yukon . But I agree. Would be nice to get this pattern centerd. 001 shim on the pinion now
a4b8bf767cb919ef50dc3fa08d534b1e.jpg

#3 see it moving deeper away from the face now and making use of a ratchet strap. Should have been making bigger steps.
Went .5 1 now 1.5 will try 002 tomorrow
Pattern looks similar to before but is deeper. I dont think its going to center out i assumed before going off yukon pictures I was good but it looks like looking good isn't good enough just looked good but wasn't deep enough.

The dana30 is more centered looks similar for depth. Im feeling confident this is on track.

The strap makes things much easier can have two hands to get adjuster lined up in threads correctly, lots less cussing.

Also thinking it would save time to go ahead and just pull the axle. To much crawling around on cold concrete

Thanks for the tips and kind words.
6937652486d06e3e459b116ea086f7f4.jpg
26d02f80ae9fed435107acd9fa9d82de.jpg

Cardboard helps on cold concrete.

I have a wood stove but have been lazy and busy to gather fire wood.
I may give the cardboard a try. I was thinking cardboard gear mock up, get em perfect in one shot kind thing.

Went on a road trip last night to rescue my buddies truck,so no progress on gears
35047586f88413f1d785bf450f265a6a.jpg

What happened? Trans?

The older I get the more I appreciate cardboard. Look for the double strength variety. More insulation plus a degree of padding. OTOH, don't leave it around when you strike an arc.

Yes trans.
I've gotten to where my arthritis stops me but I still lay in the shit
I get grumpy when my hands don't work and hydraulic fluids dripping on my face running down my arm

Deeper pinion looks better. From a completely unskilled gearsetter..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You run it or change it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

No ended up playing with it alittle more to center drive side. I did get some help and bounced patterns of a local guy with 40years experience. I thought this was easier than it is didnt use the resources available to me.

Its been sitting since. My time has been delegated to making a vortec pass emissions. The same help has been called upon weve got alot of time diagnosing main issue seems cps and maf.

Pinion is set.
Starting to wonder if I didnt get pinion bearings set and they slacked off allowing pinion to move on ring gear.

Anyways just finished fitting pin.

Will be working on the chevy tomorrow night so likely will be a few more days till I get this 8.25 buttoned up.

Was hoping to have stub shafts by now but moneys been tight damn life shit. Also have some stuff to do on my pickup but don't want to start that till the jeeps atleast street worthy for around town
8dfccb685b3a29d1fa24af5427666fad.jpg

That looks like some good stuff.

I do have some amzoil to put in it if I ever get it broken in. Hopefully not broken. Lol

Its together I did get drive side patter to center out alittle more. Im runn 8 backlash.

I think what happened is I didn't get pinion outer bearing set it slacked of allowing slop in the gear set with no preload between the two pinion bearings
Basically same as the pinion nut coming loose

Back