NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 26th, 2004, 11:48
NAXJA Forum User

ZJ Disc Swap - Parking brake cable solution

I have been looking for a clean way to use my YJ parking brake cables with my ZJ disc brake swap. I found these today:

There's more info, including a picture on how they work on Lokar's website: http://www.lokar.com/brake_con_cables.html .

Since I've read Ford Explorer brakes are the same as the ZJ brakes I'd imaging these would work. They also don't look to hard to fab. I have't found someone who carries them and can give me a price yet so I don't know if it's even worth trying to make them. I can't imagine they are very expensive.

Edit: Jeg's has them for $26.99. Might be worth fabbing something.
Old February 26th, 2004, 19:55
Member #674

Re: ZJ Disc Swap - Parking brake cable solution

Those look cool, but... I installed a set of Lokar cables on a customers TJ that had a custom D44 with explorer style disc brakes on it. The only problem I see is the adapter has a very small hole in it for the cable. The Lokar kit has a lug on one end of the cable, but is a bare cable at the other end. The bare cable slides through the small hole and the adapter is retained by the cable lug, and then you slide on the cable housing. The final piece to attach them to the park brake handle threaded rod is a block with 2 set screws to clamp the bare cable end. Since the YJ cable has lugs at both ends, I would suspect you would need to modify it to accept the large YJ cable lug, but still retain the cable itself somehow.

Does that make any sense at all? I am having trouble describing it, sorry.

Bryan